• Fixed, but don't know how

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's my understanding that the fuel pump recall that applies to many of use is addressed one of 2 ways -- either they reinforce the pump with a clamp or they replace it, depending on the condition of the pump.

Curious to know what % are replaced vs. repaired/reinforced. Mine was replaced. They say I had "cracks too deep for BMW's liking", but I'm wondering if that's BS. Does the dealer get paid more if the pump is replaced?

'07 w/ 40K miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not sure what the percentage is, but FYI, just had this done last week and mine was repaired, not replaced.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Mine ="repaired".

The following may be helpful in this discussion.

The question is... was it Repaired, or Replaced?

I had a very nice chat with the Tech who did my "repair". In his workspace and his tools were still there. He showed me the "Official" BMW tool used to perform the tests…

It is a "wrench"-looking metal piece about 5 inches long. On one end is a circular opening on one side and on the other end is a similar semi-circular opening but of a slightly different diameter. The idea is to use this tool as a Go-No-go gauge to measure the diameter of the fuel pump housing.

In short- if one end of this wrench/gauge can slip over the fuel pump housing… it means the pump housing/flange HAS NOT EXPANDED Beyond the critical dimension and a reinforcing RING can be slipped over the flange end… this means Repair.

IF the NO-GO gauge will not fit over it… then the flange has expanded too much for a ring-repair and the pump and housing must be replaced. I assume the big end of the go-no go gauge can be used to measure just how much it has expanded but it is not clear why.

If the flange has not expanded that much (such as mine was) then the repair is to slip the ring on it… button it up and you are done. This takes about 20 minutes. If the flange has expanded too much then the pump will be replaced. This takes up to a couple of hours. My shop had asked for three hours.

If it matters, my flange had the tell-tale crack but it had not expanded too much. I think that the reason mine had not expanded was that I had applied the stainless steel clamp with the pinch bolt on the side. These small clamps are available from Beemer Boneyard and they were designed by my pal "Ten-Over" in Phoenix. I got one of the early prototype clamps and I think it prevented mine leaking even though I had the crack.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My appointment is for May 20th. I'll follow up afterwards.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
My '09 was repaired last week.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
My 07 was repaired a month ago

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's a poll up top for votes, in case you didn't notice.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm starting to wonder about my dealer. I keep trying to make an appointment but they claim they have not received any replacement pumps from BMW. I asked if they could look at it because it's a newer model (2011) and might only need the reinforcement ring. He said if they looked at it and it did need a pump, the bike would have to stay with them until the pumps arrive.

While all this may be true, but I've been reading about other owners at other dealers around the country getting their recalls completed and my dealer hasn't completed any? Why haven't they received pumps but other dealers have?

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Sounds wrong to me. My brother took his '10 RT in; they evaluated it and determined that it needed a new fuel pump (and other things) and scheduled him a week later. In the meantime, they ordered the necessary parts. I think they told him that they do not order the parts until they evaluate the situation which makes sense to me if there's a fix it or replace it solution depending on the severity of the problem.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Sounds wrong to me. My brother took his '10 RT in; they evaluated it and determined that it needed a new fuel pump (and other things) and scheduled him a week later. In the meantime, they ordered the necessary parts. I think they told him that they do not order the parts until they evaluate the situation which makes sense to me if there's a fix it or replace it solution depending on the severity of the problem.
I have an appointment next Tue for my '11RT. When I called to make the appointment Service Manager told me they would evaluate the situation and if it passes the inspection they would install the new clamp ring. If it's cracked and not repairable they will order the fuel pump assembly and call when it comes in. One would assume that if it's defective and not repairable one should park the bike as fuel leak could of course cause a fire. I have about a 250 mi round trip planned for tomorrow. Sure hope it doesn't go up in a ball of fire!:kaboom:

·
Registered
955 Posts
... One would assume that if it's defective and not repairable one should park the bike as fuel leak could of course cause a fire. I have about a 250 mi round trip planned for tomorrow. Sure hope it doesn't go up in a ball of fire!:kaboom:
The flange can be cracked and expanded spread too far for a ring (requiring a new pump) and still not leak. In this case the bike can still be ridden while waiting for the part delivery. See Hopz' post for more on how the repair method is determined.

I found cracks in mine about a year ago, but no leak. The flange was spread so much that even fully opened and the screw removed the 10ovr clamp would not fit until I completely removed the fuel line. At some point, I'll go in for the recall work, just for the sake of resale, but I think this one will require a new pump.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I brought my 07 RT to the dealer 10 days ago, they put on a reinforcing ring.
The next day I could smell some gasoline in the garage, not a very strong smell, but it was there. Called the dealer and they said it would clear up. Rode it, washed it, and still could smell it this morning. I called the dealer, they are going to check it out next Tuesday.

3 recalls, 5 trips to the dealer. This is getting old. :cool:

Reactions: Pabst

·
Registered
3,677 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
There is apparently, a wide range of dealer responses to this overall situation.

As a beginning step I would suggest that owners suspecting cracks or leaks… do the first thing first… take the panel off and look at it.

Then, If you suspect a leak get your name and VIN on the BMW recall list. There is a place on the BMW Motorrad web site to enter your VIN and confirm you are on the list… but I believe they are just basing the list on year/model information… but your name and VIN needs to be in the system anyway.

I had previously made one of the safety complaints using the NTSB process but I do not recall how I did it and I do not think it matters.

Having said all that … the recall is now "official" and is by year/model. Apparently you do not have to make a complaint to have the work done.

In my case, I went to my dealer and the Service guy pulled out a piece of notebook paper with about 15 names on the list. He just added my name and phone number at the bottom. Said he would call when the parts came in.

I firmly believe BMW Motorrad North America is sending out kits to dealers. I do not believe they order parts on a bike-by-bike basis.

If you have a leak, smell gas, or visually can see cracks… go to the dealer and make them aware of it. I also suggest you do not accept some brush-off from a harried service guy. BMW is "exposed" here and it should be taken seriously.

Unacceptable.

·
Registered
471 Posts
My 06 fuel pump with cracking collar was replaced under extended service contract years before the recall. I wonder if those warranty companies who paid for repairs are putting in for refunds?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
It's my understanding that the fuel pump recall that applies to many of use is addressed one of 2 ways -- either they reinforce the pump with a clamp or they replace it, depending on the condition of the pump.

Curious to know what % are replaced vs. repaired/reinforced. Mine was replaced. They say I had "cracks too deep for BMW's liking", but I'm wondering if that's BS. Does the dealer get paid more if the pump is replaced?

'07 w/ 40K miles.
What I was told was that they had "specs" to match in order to install the reinforcement ring.
If the pump didn't meet those specs they had to replace it.

I agree that dealers would prefer to replace the pump in order to make more money but I'm sure BMW doesn't just take their word for it and each replacement has to be justified.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts