BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing the fuel filter this past week end has left me scratching my head on a couple of items and I am hoping someone will help me out.

1) Submersed electrical connections – there are two sets of connections (one set of screws and another of solder joints) that sit within the fuel. I cannot fathom how that is intrinsically safe.

2) I can understand the fuel flow via the initial filter strainer, through the pump, then the filter element, and back out. What about the other line that originates from the bottom of the fuel pump flange and then goes into the body? I am unable to trace it and have not idea to its purpose or function.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
FI systems feed the fuel rail with hi pressure feed and low pressure return.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hello
It is not "intrinsically safe" . The term intrinsically safe is used for circuits in industrial electrical control in areas that have flammable liquids ,gases or dusts For a circuit to be intrinsically safe it will have designed with devices that limit the voltage and currant to levels that will not produce a spark large enough to start an explosion of a specified gas/oxygen mix.
In tank fuel pumps are brushless DC I think and will not spark under normal operation and the tank is has too much fuel and too little oxygen to support
an explosion or fire .Auto gasoline does not conduct electricity very well .

Bob G

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,545 Posts
What Bob G said and liquid gasoline is pretty hard to ignite from inside. It's vapors however are another story. Get the right mix of oxygen and look out. Most automobiles now have the fuel pumps located inside the gas tank as that is the safest place to put them incase of leaks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts