BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my k1200lt serviced. They replaced the clutch and slave cylinder but also caused some problems. The cooling fan runs constantly, the rear speakers are no longer working and the fuel pump does not prime the fuel line when you turn on the ignition prior to hitting the start button. None of these problems existed until I took it to have the clutch and slave cylinder replaced. I was wondering if anyone could help me to understand my fuel pump problem? I looked in the manual and there isn't anything listed about it's operation.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
I don't think you should even consider any troubleshooting, instead take the bike back to the dealer and have them fix the issues. They should guarantee their work and fix whatever they messed up. If you try to fix things they can claim you did this. You should call them and make your claim and and an appointment. Maybe a loaner bike is in order while they figure out what they did wrong. It may be nothing much, but they should check their work before turning the bike over to you. JM2CW.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think you should even consider any troubleshooting, instead take the bike back to the dealer and have them fix the issues.
They are dragging their feet. It took them 6 weeks to replace the clutch and slave cylinder after they told me it would only take 1 week!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I hope for you that there is a BMW dealer within range of where you are. I would never take a bike back to a place that has already screwed things up.

Perhaps a call to BMWNA would help get the ball rolling.

I hate reading these stories.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I can't find a phone #, but a letter writing campaign might get things started.

Try bmwmotorcycles.com and go from there.

I'm sure you will get better avenues from other brothers on this site that have had to go through with such tripe...good luck.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Fuel pump

I didn't know that the fuel pump is primed once you turn the key, but before you hit the starter switch. When my bike is cold, it often takes me three hits on the starter button to get the motor running. The first couple of times I hit the starter button, the bike never reaches 1000 RPMs and it sputters, then stalls. Usually on the third hit, the motor revs to 1000 RPMs and everything is fine. Is this caused by my fuel pump not being primed when I turn the key ?

Roy

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes Royal, I think it is. Once you turn the ignition on, you SHOULD hear the fuel pump 'whirring' up to pressure, it takes about 1 second. This pressurizes the injection system to allow for instant fuel delivery, if it's not doing that I would definately think there is a problem.

Mine starts instantly after the pump run-up, no matter what the temerature is.

·
Registered
698 Posts
When I bought my 03 LT the dealer was very positive in explaining the starting sequence after I turned the ignition key. There is a process the bike goes through checking the brakes, warning lights, computer, and the fuel pump before you hit the start button. You should hear the pump charge the fuel rail and wait for it to shut off before hitting the start button.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I set up an appointment to have it checked on the 30th. I will let you know what happens with what they say was messed up.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,786 Posts
Stick to your guns on this as two of the things you are having trouble with are controlled directly from the Motronic computer. Fuel pump & fans. The rear speakers could be connectors under the stingray or rear seat that the dealer failed to hook back up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jzeiler,

Thanks for the lead. Is there anyway for me to trouble shoot the computer to see if that is the problem? Also, do you know how much a new computer cost because I know it is going to be a battle with the shop.

Thanks

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,786 Posts
Gerald,

While I said the Motronic is common to what ails I have yet to see anyone post of a failed one. Most likely it is an input to or a combination of inputs that is causing the problems. Some thing not connected back up right after the major work.

There is little technical data available for the Motronic unit. The dealer has a computer to hook up to it to read the diagnostics - that should point out the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts