BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it the U-shaped hose (#6 in the diagram below) in the tank that tends to split and that I have read about as problematic in a number of recent posts?

I am going to change my fuel filter since I have to remove the tank anyway, and would like to pre-emptively change the problematic hose.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,063 Posts
That is the one Tony, but it is a crap shoot on if it needs to be replaced. I had a 2002 in here awhile back and that was my prime suspect. Owner had even brought one with him. The hose was in pristeen shape and didn't even swell under pressure but the loose hose clamp did leak. I need to figure out how they make a hose like that. It must be formed from a straight piece - just not sure how they do it.

Google is your friend. Looks like they take sections of hose and place them on mandrels and then steam cure the hose into that shape in an autoclave. I was going to try boiling water.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, John.

Stealer did not have one and I did not bother ordering. I guess if symptoms develop I will let tank get low and see how the hose does.

Not getting very good mileage, never really have. Changed all fluids, plugs (iridium), air filter (new K&N), seafoam and subsequent StarTron to "clean up" ethanol. Two up, interstate, cruise, tires at 42/48, and best I can get is 39 indicated running super (92/93). Granted, was 100F +/- 2, but still...

Was going to put in new fuel filter and do the hose while it was apart. Maybe it can wait till next time tank is off.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,063 Posts
39 is a bit low so something is not quite right. i normally get 42 -46 n the lowlands and bit more in the mountains unless I am pulling the Bushtec. Then it drops down to 36-38 and even as low as 28 in a head wind at 75 mph (west Texas).

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
jzeiler said:
39 is a bit low so something is not quite right. i normally get 42 -46 n the lowlands and bit more in the mountains unless I am pulling the Bushtec. Then it drops down to 36-38 and even as low as 28 in a head wind at 75 mph (west Texas).
John, I got an average of 40 mph pulling my Bunkhouse between 70 and 80 mph.

Tony, the one that split on me was #4. I changed both after having a heart attack on the price. The "U" bend was $60 and the short one was $40 as I remember. Could be wrong but was not happy about the price. I bought original clamps and a pair of crimping pliers. It was suggested to get straight hose and cover it with a stainless spring to keep it from collapsing. the short hose could be just straight hose as long as the hose was rated for immersion and high pressure. Have you installed the Hyperpros yet? On the bike not your spare shocks.

Robert

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rear HP is on the bike. Planning on putting the front on when I do the fork seals and damper, hopefully this weekend since temps will be about 20F cooler... Unless Suzanne gets waved off from work, then I will spend time with her and save the LT for another day.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I order my parts from MAX BMW in NH. Whenever I've needed help they have been most accomodating.

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BecketMa said:
I order my parts from MAX BMW in NH. Whenever I've needed help they have been most accomodating.

Bob
I check Max's parts fiche and pricing, and the local stealer has started matching their prices, for the most part.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
The hoses are around $22 each but worth the money. Submersible fuel line is $25 a foot or more. I replaced mine and put some springs inside the part that had to curve but it was no easy task. If I did it again I'd go ahead and buy the preformed hose......... :D

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,063 Posts
Scouter-50 said:
John, I got an average of 40 mph pulling my Bunkhouse between 70 and 80 mph.
I expect you to since you have a pre-05. They all had lower compression engines with smaller throttle bodies. There is a price to pay for more power (even though it really wasn't needed).

·
Premium Member
7,837 Posts
jzeiler said:
That is the one Tony, but it is a crap shoot on if it needs to be replaced. I had a 2002 in here awhile back and that was my prime suspect. Owner had even brought one with him. The hose was in pristeen shape and didn't even swell under pressure but the loose hose clamp did leak. I need to figure out how they make a hose like that. It must be formed from a straight piece - just not sure how they do it.

Google is your friend. Looks like they take sections of hose and place them on mandrels and then steam cure the hose into that shape in an autoclave. I was going to try boiling water.
I don't know for sure how they make these either, but I suspect a radius that tight is made by bending the "green" hose on a mandrel before curing it.

However, if you are able to heat a strainght hose and form a tight 180 like that, I'd sure like to hear about it. It would be a lot cheaper than BMW's prices.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is why I try to read every thread, you never know what little nuggets of information are going to show up! I've ordered the 24k service pack from beemerboneyard. Says it comes with fuel line hose clamps. Are these clamps the "special" one time use clamps that require a special tool for installation, or standard aftermarket clamps that only require a screwdriver to tighten?

Thanks
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
djthompson43 said:
This is why I try to read every thread, you never know what little nuggets of information are going to show up! I've ordered the 24k service pack from beemerboneyard. Says it comes with fuel line hose clamps. Are these clamps the "special" one time use clamps that require a special tool for installation, or standard aftermarket clamps that only require a screwdriver to tighten?

Thanks
Dave
Dave,
If you take a close look at the photo Beemerboneyard posts for the kit they are the latter type and either use a screwdriver or nutdriver.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.