BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Fuel Line, Breather Hose, and Throttle Cables - Oh My!

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Patric 
#1 ·
Have the big blue gal undressed for the biennial service and farkelization extravaganza and have a couple questions about things I have found and/or want to do (2000 LT):

1. Bought some jiffy-tites and went to put them on, when looking at the state of the fuel lines outside of the tank (already have new in-tank lines in the box of goodies) I am thinking better safe than sorry so I am going to replace them. What I am wondering is if I can just go buy fuel hose from NAPA etc. or do I need to buy BMW hoses (one of which shows N/A from Max)? Just not sure if the bends are too tight for off the shelf line. Maybe there are some brackets that help hold the bend like the ones used for PEX plumbing.

2. There is a significant amount of oil accumulated on top the engine block, coating the intake tubes. There is more on the right side of the motor so I am thinking it is likely the breather tube and I am probably going to take a stab at Dean’s homemade version.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80545
it’s been a little while since this was posted, any lessons learned on the design from the community or problems encountered, or other ideas of where the oil is possibly coming from?

3. Other things on the list to do (aside from BMW specified maintenance items) are: new upgraded throttle cables (looking forward to that), canisterectomy, and I am sending the ABS unit off to module masters, already did Speiglers 2 years ago so is there anything I am forgetting about? Several other farkels are planned, just trying to think about maintenance items to check and or replace.

Thanks in advance:)

See less See more
#2 ·
2. There is a significant amount of oil accumulated on top the engine block, coating the intake tubes. There is more on the right side of the motor so I am thinking it is likely the breather tube and I am probably going to take a stab at Dean’s homemade version.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80545
it’s been a little while since this was posted, any lessons learned on the design from the community or problems encountered, or other ideas of where the oil is possibly coming from?
Recently, DEAN posted some updated info on his home-made breather tube replacement here:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109722

I have done the job a few years ago with the BMW stock part. Only issue I can see with Dean implementation is very tight space between tube and the Telelever A-Arm so you have to double check clearance of your design (can be seen better from front - leaning near the lower fork bridge, looking back along engine block).

#4 ·
I made a new breather for our bike a few weeks ago. Hopefully I will get a chance it post a picture later tonight.:wave
I am trying out our new laptop now, & haven't figured out much about it.:eek:

#6 ·
I think PO did the weep hole but I'll double check. I do shifter clean and lube every other oil change because I have noticed it makes a huge difference since most of my riding is in heavy traffic and it gets a lot of use over 6,000 miles. I've thought about doing it every oil change but I'm lazy and it would probably be overkill - at least that's what I tell myself.

Thanks for chiming in guys, still wondering about the fuel hose, might just swing by NAPA on my way home and buy some to try it out and see, it's not very expensive (at least not when compared to BMW brand.

#7 ·
Steve, it's been a year since I had mine apart but as I recall I think you could probably use regular FI hose to replace the O.E. stuff. Just study how it lays in there to see if it'll work. Then make sure the replacement is rated at 51 PSI or better. Personally I would be concerned with compromising the fuel rail when clamping on the new line.

The throttle cables aren't bad at all if you go slowly and carefully with the routing. One BIG tip. Remove the bracket on the TB assembly to connect the cable. It's a whole lot easier than using hemostats or bending up a pair of needle-nosed pliers. Then run the cruise control diagnostic to adjust your cable length. It has to pass with the bars left, right, and center. It is touchy. I zipped the new end to the old end up top and pulled them through. Easy routing that way.

#8 ·
Well, If I did this post right ,... this is the breather I made a few weeks ago. I used 3/8 soft copper, & 2 1/4" barb end that were make to hook two lines together. I cut them in half & cut the outside ends off. Then drilled the 3/8 pipe on 3" centers & soldered them in. I used 40MM of 1/4" fuel line from the breather to the throttle bodies & some breather hose that was made for a Dodge or something. It had a 90 degree bend on one end & was around a foot long straight pipe. I used spring clamps on everything but were it goes on the motor.

Attachments

#9 ·
The K100 and K1100 had the crankcase vent going to the air box, if I have to replace mine I am going to look at putting a fitting on the airbox somewhere after the air filter and cap the four ports on the throttle bodies, hard to understand why they changed it.

#10 ·
Okay, checked again this evening and I am pretty sure it's the breather, it's a freakin' mess down there (see pic):

Now to the stupid me part, per Clymer p. 246: "Draw a mark across each hose clamp and its boot so the clamps can be re-installed with their screws facing in its same direction." The problem is I can't find the screws on the front 2, found the screw on the back two, rear one is going to be a pain, and 2nd from back will be impossible I think based on the angle it is at:

But the front two I can't find the screw, do I need to remove the ECS on the other side to get to it or are they those 1-time use clamps BMW likes so much?

I don't want to break or ruin anything so giving up tonight before I am eaten alive and sweat to death.

Thanks again...

#11 ·
Ya, if you don't get the screws on close to the right spot the throttle will not work fully. I replaces all the one time clamps with screw clamps. Some of the clamps BMW used on my '02 were screw type, I just ordered them & called it good enough. :wave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.