BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to CCR. Currently in ND. Bike has 210K. Have never done a cannerostomy. Have the classic signs of a block. First indication was vacuum buildup released when I stopped to get gas. Then the bike seemed to run out of fuel with about 30 miles still indicated. Next drama on this trip was crossing Ontario with 76 miles showing left on board. Fuel starvation. My on the road solution: fill up when I have 100 miles showing still on board and release pressure every so often by unscrewing the gas cap. In fact, I've taken to riding with the gas cap loose to let air in and no vacuum to build up. Anything else I can/need to do to keep her going and not damage anything more?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Fairly easy to pull the rear top case and get rid of the canister.
You wont need to replace the hoses, just move them around.

On second thought..remove the rear seat and you have access to the hoses coming off the canister.

Running with the cap loose will do the trick until you can get to the canister.

good luck..randy

From another post..

There are two lines you need be concerned with and they both run under the seat with easy access. The one on the right side is the gas tank vent that just needs to be rerouted down to the ground, while the one on the left is the return line that needs to be plugged leading back to the engine. I did both while on a long distance trip last year and left the canister underneath the topcase for removal at a later point that I haven't gotten to yet. Be sure that the tank doesn't continue to suck after you have done this, as the problem could be a pinched vent line (between the incorrectly reinstalled right upper tupperware and the tank - don't ask me how I know, but it collapsed my tank, ending up with a dent in the fuel level float tube and erroneous fuel level readings...). Good luck, it's an easy fix on the road!

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
If you are in a big hurry, just leave the gas cap loose so air can get into the tank.

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
On my way to CCR. Currently in ND. Bike has 210K. Have never done a cannerostomy. Have the classic signs of a block. First indication was vacuum buildup released when I stopped to get gas. Then the bike seemed to run out of fuel with about 30 miles still indicated. Next drama on this trip was crossing Ontario with 76 miles showing left on board. Fuel starvation. My on the road solution: fill up when I have 100 miles showing still on board and release pressure every so often by unscrewing the gas cap. In fact, I've taken to riding with the gas cap loose to let air in and no vacuum to build up. Anything else I can/need to do to keep her going and not damage anything more?
I would do a cannisterectomy instead. :smile:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sounds like the loose cap and frequent fill ups will get me to CCR where there will be wizards with tools. My concern was that I'd do some other damage like cracking the tank. (I have two days to cover the remaining 850 miles. Thanks, folks.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
It sounds like the loose cap and frequent fill ups will get me to CCR where there will be wizards with tools.
There will be plenty of wizards there, now if they have tools is another story. All joking aside, I am sure your bike would be a candidate for everyone to watch how to perform a canister modification.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts