BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the fuel lines easy to get to? Because I went to ride into work today and found a small puddle under Babe and it was gas. It was just in for service about 600 miles ago. I'm thinking that one of the quick connectors is leaking because I have about 70 miles on this tank so I don't think that it could have sloshed that much out. Glad I found it in the garage not on the road.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
blankshot said:
Are the fuel lines easy to get to? Because I went to ride into work today and found a small puddle under Babe and it was gas. It was just in for service about 600 miles ago. I'm thinking that one of the quick connectors is leaking because I have about 70 miles on this tank so I don't think that it could have sloshed that much out. Glad I found it in the garage not on the road.
Easy? That's a relative term :) The disconnects are at the bottom right rear corner of the fuel tank. They may be reached by removing the right upper fairing panel (which also requires removal of the two tip-over wing covers, the right mirror and the wing directly under it, and the small center panel at teh base of the oddments compartment).

Once you have access to the quick disconnects, be prepared to be a bit frustrated -- there's not much finger room in there. The o-rings can be changed in situ, but it's a minor pita to do. A couple things to keep in mind: When you are pushing the QD's back together, first spray a little silicone on the o-ring to ease its entry into the female part. Second, be sure to hold the metal release tab fully in until the male part is fully seated in the female part -- this will prevent damaging the o-ring by dragging one side of it past the edge of the metal tab.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
grifscoots said:
Hey Mark, them stainless QD's are almost as good as peanut butter, but a lot smoother. Them baby's just click in place as purdy as you please.
Cool -- if one of my OE QDs ever cracks, I'll replacement them with the no-stain-em's!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was quite easy to get to the fittings. Now I wish that the fittings were the problem. It turned out to be the glan nut on the bottom of the tank. I guess that is where the fuel filter lives and I just got it back from a 24k service and the filter was changed. So I brought it back to the dealer for them to do it. I just had to get it out of the garage because the whole down stairs smelled of gas. It should be done in a couple of days until then I'll just bang around on their RTP.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Where do you get the stainless quick disconnects? I broke one taking the tank off last night.

Lewis

·
Registered
13,451 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
grifscoots said:
From www.mscdirect.com . Item #8808445 (2 each) and #88080486 (2 each). Be warned, they aren't cheap.

While you're at it, go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and get you #9452K19. Industry standare -011 Size Bun-N. They are the o-rings that go on the quick disconnects. Package of 100 for $2.47.
Thanks, Ill give them a call.

Lewis

·
Registered
222 Posts
blankshot said:
Well, at least you found yours at home . . . I found mine last Saturday over 100 miles from home. Fortunately, I could drive it a short distance to a town and chose to park the bike across the street from Home Depot and once I got it apart, discovered that the QD had cracked so the O-ring fix was of no help. I removed the QD and shopped at Home Depot for 2 brass barb fittings for air compressor lines (3/8") and bought a coil of high pressure poly water hose and some stainless steel clamps. After 3½ hours of chasing parts and a little pushing and pulling, I got the line spliced and turned on the ignition and no leaks. A $17 repair that saved a $350 tow bill. Dropped it off today at the dealer for a warranty repair. By the way, the BMW Owners Anonymous book was a godsend - Charlie Travis was nearby and assisted in transportation and moral support.

·
Registered
412 Posts
grifscoots said:
From www.mscdirect.com . Item #8808445 (2 each) and #88080486 (2 each). Be warned, they aren't cheap.

Just in case anyone else was having trouble with the part numbers...The first item is actually #88080445. I was expecting the see stainless steal, but the description says the material is Brass????? Is there a Stainless version out there?

Item #1 = $14.42 Ea
Item #2 = $23.39 Ea

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
WPNorton said:
Just in case anyone else was having trouble with the part numbers...The first item is actually #88080445. I was expecting the see stainless steal, but the description says the material is Brass????? Is there a Stainless version out there?

Item #1 = $14.42 Ea
Item #2 = $23.39 Ea
My only concern is that the QD are chrome plated. I hope the plating holds up, Some say you only rent chrome. I did see stainless even more expensive. The stainless did not have a fuel barb end.

Pete Murray

1 - 11 of 11 Posts