BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the picture explains why my gas gauge was always reading just over 1/2. I took the little nut off the bottom, took the float mechinism out and straightend the tube by tapping progressively larger sockets through it until I had one that was the same size as the tube. I then tapped on the outside with a hammer to reform it around the socket inside. After reassembly, viola! It works just as it should. Before I put everything back together, I made sure the vent lines were not blocked so I should be good to go. (post canisterectomy)
:thumb:
It sure feels good to fix something without $$ involved!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Good news, it is always nice to discover and fix a problem. I had the same problem on my RT years ago and was able to repair the tube as you did. It doesn't have to be perfect as the float is quite a bit smaller than the tube diameter.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Hmm,,,will have to pull this out of the tank and take a look. I dont register below 1/2 a tank at all anymore. Ever since the tank went dry. Time to pull some parts and see what can be done to remedy the problem. Thanks for posting the pics.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
14wntr said:
Well the picture explains why my gas gauge was always reading just over 1/2. I took the little nut off the bottom, took the float mechinism out and straightend the tube by tapping progressively larger sockets through it until I had one that was the same size as the tube. I then tapped on the outside with a hammer to reform it around the socket inside. After reassembly, viola! It works just as it should. Before I put everything back together, I made sure the vent lines were not blocked so I should be good to go. (post canisterectomy)
:thumb:
It sure feels good to fix something without $$ involved!!
Bravo!

Was the cause due to vacuum from the fuel logged canister or did it get hit with the gas pump nozzle?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess, its the vacuum problem. From what I understand, the PO had a problem with tipping the bike over, so it probably filled the canister. When I removed it, it seems hard inside like a cake of carbon. I dont know how you could hit it when filling. You would really need to be jacking on the nozzle to get it to hit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts