BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to overload haltec007 's thread with my situation. Fuel tank is off and it looks like I have a split in the fuel rail. Rattler, you were on it. Fortunately for me it's only $33. I'll be pulling it off tomorrow.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
I would have never guessed it was that cheap!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
John,
True... only $US$ 32.80 on MAX-BMW parts fiche here - it is the same black plastic rail for all K1200RS/LT:
MAX BMW Motorcycles - BMW Parts & Technical Diagrams - K1200LT 05-09 (89V3)

HOWEVER, there is a "catch" to this: 4 O-ring for injectors and 2 for fuel-pressure regulator have to be bought separately. I would not take a chance to re-assemble everything with old o-rings.

BY the way, the price of these Injectors O-ring on BMW fiche is a crazy ($US$ 5,27 each)
The same O-ring can be found in many Euro auto-parts store for 1/3 of that price (or even less) as the same BOSH injectors size is used n many cars (including BMW cars of 1980-1990). A full sets for $5 here from a good supplier:
EnDuraLast - BMW R Fuel Injector ring 8 Pack

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I damn near fell out of my chair. I was expecting $200+.

The same O-ring can be found in many Euro auto-parts store for 1/3 of that price (or even less) as the same BOSH injectors size is used n many cars (including BMW cars of 1980-1990). A full sets for $5 here from a good supplier:

Sailor - Thank you - that saves a bunch. I was resigned to eating the $80 for the O-rings. Now I'm kicking around replacing the $81 fuel line, but it looks ok at this point through a beer haze.

The fuel rail is out and tomorrow the valve cover is coming off to check buckets.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Glad you found it. When doing the clutch in my first BMW I was warned about taking the fuel line off the rail so I wouldn't break it. Lube those Orings. I see guys installing Orings dry and it just makes me cringe........

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
FWIW: When I had injectors checked and cleaned by Bosch-service (two cleaned, two replaced) I did not change any O-rings (did not came to my mind). No leaks to any direction.
I have also done the same a long time ago (keep old O-rings).
HOWEVER, given the time it would take to go back under a bunch of stuff AND given the risk of fuel leak under pressure, I normally recommend NOT to take any chance, Clean everything around bottom cavity of injectors (in intake manifolds) , lube and install new O-rings, and have some peace of mind for very little added $$$ (plus a bit of your time).

·
Registered
191 Posts
lube and install new O-rings,

What is good for lube on O rings? I believe some use Vaseline as it is safe with the material in an O ring.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called Enduralast and they don't stock the LT o-rings. I'm gonna bite it and order from bmw. I will lubricate the rings and remember reading vasoline or any non siicone grease. Parts are due in 5 days.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New fuel rail and all o-rings installed. No fuel odor under seat. I did have a fuel odor at the gas cap so after checking the price of a new gas cap, I flipped the o-ring and lubricated it with vasoline. The fuel odor is gone.

The front end cap of the fuel rail showed evidence of leakage, but at this point, it's been handled alot and is not easy to see in the pic.

I thank you all, Tom B.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts