BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm Shannon from Sydney Australia and I have a problem with my fuel tank. I have just had my 80000 klm's service and the fuel tank had to be taken off to replace the fuel filter. I have had the tank off before and have had trouble with fuel leaking. The dealer has been able to fix it to stop the leak but fuel smell is often there. This time nothing could be done. I was told I would need a new tank (the tank now has a slight warp)and at $A1700 is a lot of money for a semi retired person. I remember fuel problems before on this site and got the info about several BMW models that were recalled to replace the filter and used this to send to BMW Australia to see if I could get some assistant in costs. I was knocked back as I have a 2005 LT and the only 2005 bike with fuel problem was an S,RT and GS. I did see that there were LT's with this problem in some of the posts. How do I go about getting in touch with NHTSA to get more info and has anyone with a LT had this problem resolved

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Hi mate welcome, there is a seal in the big nut that holds the filter assembly in, and the qd's are known to either break ( the male end only) or the o ring leaks, I am sure you would get it sorted if you were to take the tank off yourself and spend a little time on it to seal it up. how are you at pulling it apart??, give CWS (Chris) a pm on the OZ forum, he might be able to help you out.
Sorry mate I have dobbed you in :) :)

Reactions: cws

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Hi Shannon... where abouts in Sydney are you, and which dealer have you been using, just out of curiosity?
As Linton (Axle) mentioned, should be only 2 spots where you might get fuel leak, where the filter unit screws in or from the quick disconnects. Don't know if you happen to have a crack at one of the QD's? Have the OEM plastic ones been replaced with metal ones yet?
How bad is the "warp" of the tank... got any pics of it?
cheers
Chris

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Start with either the quick disconnects on lower right side of the tank. Or the rubber gasket that is under the nut that holds pump in the tank. If they changed the fuel filter.They would have pulled the fuel pump. It might be the warped tank. But start with checking those first.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts
Improper installation of the pump assy is often cause for a leak. The area needs to be very clean and DRY. The gasket goes in first (dry) followed by the pump and then the nut. Any dirt at all and it will leak. I only use a little lubricant between the nut and the pump flange. I would suspect this if the leak is no different engine running or off.

Not an easy fix with a full tank but you can drain the tank and remove the rubbing strip frame on that side. With a drained tank and the bike on the side stand you can re-do the pump mounting without removing the tank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the help offered but the bike is at the dealer's. After the service I rode the bike home put it in the shed and the next day all the fuel (about 3 litres ) had leaked out. I rand the dealer and was asked to get the bike back to them. They offered to pick up the bike but I rode it there. They wanted to take the tank off to send photo's to BMW Australia. I want to get the bike on the road so told them to get the tank and I will chase up about getting help with cost's later. Chris the dealer is Procycle at Hornsby. I have been going there for several years, had great dealings with them and couldn't fault then so far. I also live in Glenhaven. I will be bringing the old tank home.

·
Registered
847 Posts
You saying you have a hole in your tank I wonder if you have a partial plugged
canister that is flatten the tank back and forth thier for putting ahole in it just a thought

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had a little fuel leak after changing the fuel filter.
I was not careful enough when refitting the big rubber gasket of the fuel pumps assembly.

Easy to fix.
No need to change the tank unless something has been broken during the last maintenance.

Bruno

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
You saying you have a hole in your tank I wonder if you have a partial plugged
canister that is flatten the tank back and forth thier for putting ahole in it just a thought
garry no cannisters here, european bikes dont have them and I believe it is leaking out of the big lock nut on the filter ( no Hole)

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Good luck with them Shannon. I used Procycles at St Peters for a few years as its close to my work..... I would have preferred to keep going back to Worthingtons where I bought the bike new, but just a bit awkward.
My experiences were less than stellar despite the service manager being pretty good... eventually I quite using any of them except to buy parts from, now do all the work myself... scary sometimes but more satisying in the end, and saves a shitload of money. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts