BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fuel leak.

My 2001 R1100RT has now developed a fuel leak at the pressed in fastener that holds the bottom of the glove box on...

Can I withdraw the fastener and chemical weld a plug in the hole ?

I'm assuming the fuel tank is ABS.... Please correct me if it's not...

Any ideas on a permanent repair ? Tank is back off the bike and I'm pondering on what to do..I thought I would have it back running again at noon...I had to replace the O-ring at the fuel sensor assembly because of a leak there...That O-ring was hard as a rock..

Alcohol in the fuel possibly causing this ?

John

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I would sure try the ABS solvent type repair kit. There are also ABS heat welding which might be good too. Some sort of repair as a replacement tank (unless used from beemer boneyard) might be way too expensive. I am under the impression they are ABS tanks, maybe someone with con information will chime in. Black to me means ABS. Ten year old O rings exposed to fuel are generally toast.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ist repair..After cleaning and sanding real good. I took the stud out of the upper similar but way better attachment that the glove box hangs on. Then installed it in the lower leaking insert and capped it off with some JB weld and a plastic washer to seal the whole mess up... I hope... Otherwise I'll try to completely extract the threaded insert and do some kind or repair with an ABS type solvent......

I think I have some MEK in the cupboard.....

John

·
Registered
444 Posts
If your repair does not work I have found "Sealsall",works good in gas environments.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts