BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. Has anyone ever used any fuel injector cleaner in the tank? If so what kind. Thanks Quohog.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
quohog said:
Just curious. Has anyone ever used any fuel injector cleaner in the tank? If so what kind. Thanks Quohog.
Tank added injector cleaners are not very effective at all, at least the ones you can buy from your local stores.

The REAL fuel injector cleaners are the highly concentrated ones that are used in a small tank that is attached to the fuel rail and pressurized to the correct running pressure by compressed air, and the engine run on that instead of it's normal supply from the fuel pump. There are a couple of tank added ones that are not readily available, one is B-44 or something like that, but I have no experience with them.

Beyond that, removing them and sending them to an injector rebuilding shop is the only remaining way.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
quohog said:
Just curious. Has anyone ever used any fuel injector cleaner in the tank? If so what kind.
I frequently (every couple thousand miles) use Techron and as a fuel injector cleaner. Injectors in both cage and cycle have remained with that perfect "new" spray pattern.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
dshealey said:
Tank added injector cleaners are not very effective at all, at least the ones you can buy from your local stores.

The REAL fuel injector cleaners are the highly concentrated ones that are used in a small tank that is attached to the fuel rail and pressurized to the correct running pressure by compressed air, and the engine run on that instead of it's normal supply from the fuel pump. There are a couple of tank added ones that are not readily available, one is B-44 or something like that, but I have no experience with them.

Beyond that, removing them and sending them to an injector rebuilding shop is the only remaining way.
David - would this be the product you were thinking of? Local talk show mechanic sez the BG products are the ONLY aftermarket stuff he would recommend, and he's real high on BG-44K. They do have a complete line of automotive engine component and specific application products.

·
Banned
588 Posts
Amsoil just came out with their new and improved fuel injector cleaner. Just add a little into the tank every 4,000 miles. I just added some to my first tank last week. I seem to be getting a little better gas mileage. For more info https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/api.aspx . I've tried it in my motorhome, mini-van and sports car and getting better gas mileage in all.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant

In a thread somewhere, a member was touting Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant. I bought a large bottle for $10.00 (US). About half way through it, and it's enough to treat several tanks.

Have seen no noticeable changes in performance or mileage on the LT. I'll probably use the rest, since I do have about $5.00 worth left! he he

One other way I might try to increase performance is to go on a ride one day with Scottydawg, and try to keep up with that Ducatti! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have a used BG products 44K for years. I also borrowed a BG pressurized fuel rail system from a mechanic friend (several years ago) and used it on a pickup that I had... Like any fuel additive, it would be unrealistic to expect it to work 100% of the time, but I have had very good luck with it. More of my experiences with BG's 44K can be found using the link below.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=194196#post194196

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
hallzee said:
In a thread somewhere, a member was touting Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant. I bought a large bottle for $10.00 (US). About half way through it, and it's enough to treat several tanks.

Have seen no noticeable changes in performance or mileage on the LT. I'll probably use the rest, since I do have about $5.00 worth left! he he

One other way I might try to increase performance is to go on a ride one day with Scottydawg, and try to keep up with that Ducatti! :rolleyes:
I think that might've been Dave Dragon who used the upper cylinder lubricant. I wuz gonna follow his lead, butt later ran across this statement in the BMW Service and Technical Booklet: "BMW does not approve the use of any upper-cylinder lubricants or similar oil additives." Figgering those engine designers and injuneers are a lot smarter 'bout this stuff than me, I decided not to use the stuff. I think Dave felt it wuz doin' his scoot some good, tho, so he's prolly still using it. Don't know if he adds it to every fluid change - doesn't take much, IIRC.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I second the Seafoam fuel treatment...But the LT uses Bosch injectors which, by design, don't get the buildup on the tips like the American made injectors did/do...think Rochester's Multec injectors.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
UncleRock said:
Marvel Mystery Oil (AKA) MOM.
+1! Some of the greatest stuff ever invented! Works good on your air tools also.
danbrown said:
DO NOT, repete, do not drip any on the paint. Don't ask how i know this.
LOL! +1 La la la la, Loli loli loli....
Dick said:
...."BMW does not approve the use of any upper-cylinder lubricants or similar oil additives." Figgering those engine designers and injuneers are a lot smarter 'bout this stuff than me, I decided not to use the stuff....
Yup, Dick, those guys are smart! They are ensuring that someone is gonna' make a couple hundred Bennies when they have to "power flush" your injectors--or more if they have to be replaced! Of course in a perfect world with perfect gas all the time (proper additives), they would be right.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
jayjacobson said:
Yup, Dick, those guys are smart! They are ensuring that someone is gonna' make a couple hundred Bennies when they have to "power flush" your injectors--or more if they have to be replaced! Of course in a perfect world with perfect gas all the time (proper additives), they would be right.
Hey, Jay - I didn't say they were smart. I said they were smarter'n me!! ;)

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
Dick said:
Hey, Jay - I didn't say they were smart. I said they were smarter'n me!! ;)
Oh my! +1....

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Dick said:
I think that might've been Dave Dragon who used the upper cylinder lubricant. I wuz gonna follow his lead, butt later ran across this statement in the BMW Service and Technical Booklet: "BMW does not approve the use of any upper-cylinder lubricants or similar oil additives." Figgering those engine designers and injuneers are a lot smarter 'bout this stuff than me, I decided not to use the stuff.
Is that the same guys that said the rearend on the GT is a sealed unit that never needs serviced? (by far one of the most stupid statements ever :eek: )
Metal to metal plus torque is gonna wear period, any 10 year old kid at the drag strip with his dad will tell you that :cool: .
Rock

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
anyone ever notice...

there is an official BMW-branded fuel injector cleaner available at a&s BMW...doubt it's any different than any of the dozen on the shelf at Pep Boys except it's twice the cost...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts