BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have developed a leak on the inboard (pressurized) fuel hose where it meets the metal pipe coming out of the tank. The crimped fitting is loose enough for me to be able to rotate it a bit when pushed with a screwdriver. It looks a bit tight for room and I was wondering if its possible to get the crimped hose clamp off and fasten a new one without removing the tank, anyone done this before? ( how do you remove the crimped clamps?)

Also, if I manage to wiggle the hose off the metal gas line, is it going to squirt gas everywhere since it is pressurized? Comments would be appreciated. I just orderred new metal disconnects to replace the plastic ones but they don't appear to be leaking at this time.

thanks

Ron

·
Registered
83 Posts
itspossible said:
I seem to have developed a leak on the inboard (pressurized) fuel hose where it meets the metal pipe coming out of the tank. The crimped fitting is loose enough for me to be able to rotate it a bit when pushed with a screwdriver. It looks a bit tight for room and I was wondering if its possible to get the crimped hose clamp off and fasten a new one without removing the tank, anyone done this before? ( how do you remove the crimped clamps?)

Also, if I manage to wiggle the hose off the metal gas line, is it going to squirt gas everywhere since it is pressurized? Comments would be appreciated. I just orderred new metal disconnects to replace the plastic ones but they don't appear to be leaking at this time.

thanks

Ron
Ron,

First of all - YES, gas will come pouring out of the feed line off the tank. Have a cork plug, a drain line, or a catch basin ready to go if you wiggle that line off.

If you can wiggle that off, it would be easier for you to get the old crimp off. Once off, you may need to use a side cutter or something like that to loosen the crimping so you can slide it off the line. I found it near impossible to cut those things!

Then just get a new stainless clamp, run it on the line first, then put the line back on the tank outlet and tighten the new clamp

That should do it!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
You could do it without removing the line.. A little leakage will be inevitable..

I have cut the crimp on bands with a substantial set of electricians pliers..But, Once things get crooked then it's a fight to get the thing off..You could also use a good set of needle nose pliers and loosen the crimp enough to slide the band off...

If you can pull the line off I'd just get a gas can and a piece of hose to use to drain the gas into the can...

Then you can fix it properly and at your leisure..

JOhn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts