BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a post that said that if you routinely overfill your fuel tank it messes with your guage and range calculations. I am one such person. Since I did a canister-ectomy I became more bold with the volume of fuel I cram in my tank. I now get the low fuel light with 2 1/2 gallons left and can ride 75 miles past 0 range on the computer. I have tried the low fuel level reset on the diagnostic plug with no results. Anyone know how to change this phenomenon? Obviously I need to put less fuel in the tank.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
To fix the low fuel light issue you must drain the tank completely and then add 1 gallon of gas. Do the low fuel light reset with the bike on the center stand. Also reset your MTE (mile to empty) occasionally as that will help with correct readings. You didn't say what year you have. The reset is a little different for those with a BC on the left side of the dash and the 05 and up with it built into the dash display. For the 05 just select MTE and press an hold the BC button until it changes. For the older bikes there is a reset button on the BC unit.

Now with a canisterectomy done you can fill it as much as you like as that does not mess with the gauge. Before you ran the risk of the canister clogging and doing a vacuum collapse of the fuel tank that would damage the fuel level sensor.

Reactions: vernvernvern

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jzeiler, my LT is a 2001. The fuel light reset I have tried is the one on the diag plug.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
As long as you shorted the pins with the key on and waited until the fuel light stopped flashing you have done it correctly. Sure you had only one gallon in the tank? If that is the case you may need a new fuel level sensor.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks jzeiler, I have shorted the two terminals on the plug with the key on and waited, and waited, and I don't get the light to flash at all. It just stays lit solid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts