BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '03 LT with fuel guage problems..It never has gone all the way to full, it seemed to stop at about 7/8 of a tank but now it only registers 3/4 after a fill up. I just got back off a short ride of 33 miles and the guage was on empty when I got back..Either I have a problem with the sending unit/fuel guage or I'm only getting about 6 miles per gallon..Has anyone else had this problem and if so where do I go first? Guage or sending unit?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
it can be a bent filler tube and sounds like it here is a link

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
You are putting it on the side-stand for fueling, correct? If not, that could be your problem.

Just thinking.

John

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had the same problem last year after reinstalling the fuel tank.
My wife and I went for a ride, and I pointed at the gage and said......
" Damn ! I just filled, and the gage only says Half Full !"
.......She said, "thats the engine temperature".

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
rhawk said:
That's funny ;) . Now this thread will likely get moved to the humor section.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
rhawk said:
Well, when the temperature goes up and before the fans kick in, you will have a full tank :histerica

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had the partially collapsed fuel probe "syndrome" from a clogged charcoal canister that blocked the tank vent on my '99 I just bought. There's a bit of info here on the issue. The fix was a canister-ectomy.... as has been described often in the archives, and then pull the probe and repair it. It's an aluminum tube with an internal float and some wires on a "frame". When the tank doesn't vent properly from a plugged charcoal caniser, a partial vacuum in the gas tank causes the aluminum fuel level tube to partially collapse restricting the float movement.

I'm betting you have a version of this situation.....your fuel level tube is pinched near the top, and as your bike runs, fuel is drawn out of the probe to near the bottom due to plugged venting giving a near empty indication. Fixing the probe isn't too hard if you're a bit handy with ad hoc kind of repairs.

A simple test to see if something like the above is happening is to ride your bike for a while, stop, turn of the engine, and take off the gas cap. If there's an audible hiss....your tank isn't venting properly.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts