BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I had the Tupperware off for the spring change I also tried to fix the stupid fuel gauge sending unit. I took it apart and checked the wires and wipers, all seemed fine. I put my Ohm meter on the connections and got erratic readings. I tightened the center nut some more and that helped but I did notice that if I put some torque on the tube the readings would drop to infinity and if I torqued the tube the other way it would read again. I tightened the nut even more and that seemed to stabilize the readings. I also noticed a small crack in the center of the plastic wire connector. I don't know if it is related or not. After re-installing the sending unit I was reading about 55 Ohms. When I went for a test ride the gauge was reading low and into the white bar. I will fill up and see what it does. Does anyone have the range of Ohms from full to empty? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks, Robert.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
FWIW my spare unit measures 4.6 ohms full and 75.7 empty. Not sure if it works as I have never had it on a bike.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jzeiler said:
FWIW my spare unit measures 4.6 ohms full and 75.7 empty. Not sure if it works as I have never had it on a bike.
Thanks, John. I was getting a range of 6.4 to 82 Ohms. The difference could be the different meters, I was using my old Fluke. There is still no joy in Mudville though. I filled up a little while ago and the gauge went to almost full then dropped to 3/4 then 1/2 within a couple of miles. I think I have a problem with the plastic connector on top where the conducting pieces connect to the pins. I don't have a clue as to how to repair that.

Robert

1 - 3 of 3 Posts