BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first problem with my RT. Went out for about 1.5/hrs and light for fuel came on. Then what was left on the screen (Fuel) went blank. I fueled up and went I started the RT the dash said: EWS. in BIG letters, What the hell is this?
Also my fuel gauge says empty and the low fuel light is still on.
Road home and light is still on. I guess I need a new fuel strip. :mad:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Risky, It does sound as though the fuel strip needs replacing but the EWS ( it's your electronic immobilisor) may have something to do with it. In my book it explains EWS as follows:- The key being used is not authorised for starting, or communication between key and engine electronics is disrupted.

1. Remove all other vehicle keys located near the ignition key.

2. Use the reserve key

3. Have the defective key replaced by authorised dealer.

Just put the ignition key in and see what happens, there may also be a problem with the antenna ring or if you have other keys present they could be upsetting the computer.

Hope this helps. Steve.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Risky---
Happened to me as well, just as you describe it--I separated the keys, used the spare, never saw the problem again--nothing had to be replaced. Because signal data (very low voltages) is going back and forth, I'd say the battery state could effect this as well. Who was it asked "What is the dreaded EWS?" There you have it. My mishap took place in my driveway--thank the blessed saint of electrons!
Dave

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Keep your spare key in you pocket, not on the ring or in the tank bag. That EWS is the kiss of death if it is for real. Your bike will not start. Luck it was only a confused signal.

·
Registered
737 Posts
It seems to me that you have way too many different issues to try to point at each.

Before you consider doing anything drastic - like spending time at your dealer for something that isn't a real issue - here are a couple things you might try.

Charge the battery, use only the proper ignition key in your ignition switch - leave the house key/spare key in your pocket.

Fuel strip may be gone, and for certain that needs to be addressed with the dealr, but if your bike started after it saw an EWS error, it's almost certain it's either another key interfering with the antenna communications to the key or a low battery. If the "immobilizer" fails - you're bike sits where it is, or on a trailer to get it to the dealer.*****

***** I carry a spare antenna ring and my plastic key in my wallet. The antenna ring is $35. It's a good investment.

Good luck.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never used the OTHER key? I will try that now and see what happens :confused:

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, here goes... tried the spare key, bike started. dash still no fuel amber light flashing... Tried plastic key, bike started, still the same, amber light flashing no fuel.
So I can only think I have a fuel strip gone. :cussing: another day lost to the dealer...

·
Registered
737 Posts
No EWS - that's progress.

Fuel strip is no big deal. Takes a couple hours to get it done and you're repair is now warranteed for two more years.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK. still dont know what EWS means?
Is it: Ha,ah you need a computer!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Well, if you need to what EWS stands for, it's "Electronische Wegfahrsperre" in German. In English "electronic immobilizer" or more loosely "Electronic Drive Away Protection".

Same thing that prevents cars with "chipped" keys from being started without the correct key/chip combination.

Works well but on the bikes, it's sensitive to other influences like other keys, magnetic fields etc. As a general rule, seeing EWS on the display - on your bike, with your key - is a bad sign that you're headed to a bike you can't move.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Risky said:
OK, here goes... tried the spare key, bike started. dash still no fuel amber light flashing... Tried plastic key, bike started, still the same, amber light flashing no fuel.
So I can only think I have a fuel strip gone. :cussing: another day lost to the dealer...
Just a question about the type of fuel you use and brand? Are you using ethanol blended fuel? Are you using premium? I'm trying to be careful with my fuel selection so this problem doesn' t occur with my bike.

Thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just an FYI --

According to what my Service Manager has told me, the new antenna ring was introduced mid-year in 2008. Your 2009 has the new ring and should be less prone to the EWS error.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Risky

Just come back today after a week long spin in France and this happened to me twice on the trip. Once when I had the engine off and the front brakes pulled for the wife to climb onboard. Turned the key and the EWS came on. Turned the key off and let go of the front brake. Started the bike no problem.
The second time was due to the fact (I think) that I had nearly run the battery to zero, due to stupidity!
Hope this goes someway to explaining the fault.

Ride safe

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
moonw5 said:
Just a question about the type of fuel you use and brand? Are you using ethanol blended fuel? Are you using premium? I'm trying to be careful with my fuel selection so this problem doesn' t occur with my bike.

Thanks

Good morning, I only use Ultra 94 Sunoco. If I cant get 94 I will settle for 91 octane. I have used (REG) when I could not find any thing but very little. I ride all winter long so bike does not sit foe long. :bike:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts