BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Guys. I pulled the fuel gauge sensor tube this morning. No dents no dings no scratches no deposits (no returns). I put my trusty Fluke 179 meter on the connections and with the tube upside down I read 4.9 ohms and with it upright I read 77.8 ohms. Seems good to me. After looking in the fuel tank I am now questioning changing the fuel filter although I will probably do it since I am so far into tupperware/tank removal. WTF guys?

Robert.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
it's a bit too early to tell but my fuel gauge had started acting weird showing anywhere from 3/4 to 1/4 on a full tank, remembering a few years ago (quite a few) people with GM vehicles having problems with their car gas guages doing the same thing isolated to one brand of gasoline I have switched and it SEEMS to be returning to normal. I like the way my 91 Taurus runs on Shell regular so have been using Shell premium exclusivly in the LT - have had a couple of tanks of Petro Canada or Esso and guage better now - time will tell with a few more tank fulls

do not remember which brand was causing problems with GM vehicles

If you are sticking to one brand exclusivly could try switching, your problem may be entirely different, gasoline sold here is different formula than deep south, areas that go below 0F get summer/winter fuel

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
Those readings are close to the one's on my spare. 8-11ohms at the top and 80 at the bottom. May have some varnish on it if you get a chance spray it with some good carb cleaner while you have it out.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jzeiler said:
Those readings are close to the one's on my spare. 8-11ohms at the top and 80 at the bottom. May have some varnish on it if you get a chance spray it with some good carb cleaner while you have it out.
Thanks for the reply. Everything on the inside was pristine. No dirt, no varnish, no birds, no rocks, no fish. Just pristine BMW parts (other than the leaking internal hose feeding the filter). I will fill the tank later and check everything again.

Robert

·
Registered
683 Posts
What about hooking up the wires on the sender and switchiing on the ignition and manually checking deflection on your fuel gauge? might be a reasonable next step in troubleshooting, could be a gauge problem, a few cycles of the sender should give you an idea of the consistancy of the gauge reading....just a thought.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
casualemt said:
What about hooking up the wires on the sender and switchiing on the ignition and manually checking deflection on your fuel gauge? might be a reasonable next step in troubleshooting, could be a gauge problem, a few cycles of the sender should give you an idea of the consistancy of the gauge reading....just a thought.
Good thought! Unfortunately everything is back together. I may do that later. I'm on to farkle wiring at the moment.

Thanks, Robert.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts