BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this community and glad that it exists. The fuel gauge on my newly purchased 1999 is off by at least a gallon or so (not to my benefit - runs out of fuel before the light comes on). I was informed of this issue when I purchased the bike and told that the dealer could fix it or I could just play it safe and fuel up at 200 miles.

Just got off the phone with the Dealer. They stated minimum of three hours ($250 or so) just to diagnose. Is this (the fuel gauge) a common problem? If so, is there a specific part that anyone knows of that may be worth trying?

Next question. Is the onboard computer probable range linked directly to the fuel gauge or is it separate? If it is separate, how accurate is the probable range?

I understand that I could take a small container of fuel with me and run it down to test it out, but I'm hoping to avoid having to do that!

Sure would appreciate hearing from any of you. Thanks in advance.

Skeeter sends

·
Registered
240 Posts
SkeeterD said:
I am new to this community and glad that it exists. The fuel gauge on my newly purchased 1999 is off by at least a gallon or so (not to my benefit - runs out of fuel before the light comes on). I was informed of this issue when I purchased the bike and told that the dealer could fix it or I could just play it safe and fuel up at 200 miles.

Just got off the phone with the Dealer. They stated minimum of three hours ($250 or so) just to diagnose. Is this (the fuel gauge) a common problem? If so, is there a specific part that anyone knows of that may be worth trying?

Next question. Is the onboard computer probable range linked directly to the fuel gauge or is it separate? If it is separate, how accurate is the probable range?

I understand that I could take a small container of fuel with me and run it down to test it out, but I'm hoping to avoid having to do that!

Sure would appreciate hearing from any of you. Thanks in advance.

Skeeter sends
Hi Skeeter
Welcome to the Boards:wave

Not really sure if this is what you would call a commen problem or not...i have heard a few people sayiing that they are off alittle but not by that much..By over a gallon that is alot...

Yes to get it checked out 3.5 hours is about right...they would have to remove all of the tupperware to check it out which means alot of labor...
I am not enough of a wrench head to be able to tell you how to fix the problem itself but i am sure you will find enough people here to help with your issues

Good luck and enjoy the Ride! :bmw:

·
Registered
67 Posts
SkeeterD said:

Skeeter sends
I too have an issue with the fuel gauge, and from the input on this very forum, I think I know what it's not, but am still looking for what it is. I was told that it could be an issue with the fuel vapor canister, causing a small collapse of the fuel tank itself, which caused the fuel gauge to get a wrong reading. I was also told that the OBC was not affected by this, although I have yet to fully understand how this is so.
On my 00 LT, I have looked at the tank in it's naked glory and I would swear it looked fine, although again it's hard to tell to the un-initiated as the tank already has dimples all over it.
If that's the case, and the tank is fine, then it's probably the sender unit or the intake tube issue (tweaking the intake tube with the gas pump nozzle). Those two things sound like something that could happen during the last 103 thousand miles.
After that, I don't have a clue, although I am waiting with beer breath for others with much more knowledge to continue to advise....
Welcome to the forum, by the way. This place is great!
Rick

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Hall of Wisdom and FAQ

There is lots of good information on this site in ther forums, but most people forget there is a Hall of Wisdom and a FAQ for the site too. Try this link and you'll find several things about fuel system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts