BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, 2004 LT, experimenting I have filled the tank both on the side stand AND on the centerstand, topping off the tank visually, literally drop by drop to the very TOP (and no, I didn't use a bic lighter to check how much was in it, but I AM almost dumb enough to do that, thankyouverymuch...).

Either way, sidestand or centerstand when filled, gas cap back on, ignition on and engine fired up, sit for a minute on idle and the fuel gauge never gets above about 6-degrees under the last hash mark on its way to "F"

I understand the trip computer registering "---" on miles to empty when you actually have .8 gallons left or whatever it is, I understand the fuel light popping on when you have 1.2 gallons left (I believe), I understand what the owner's manual says is just under a gallon left when the needle hits the red block of the gauge...because I've been stupid enough to run out of gas before, and better to err on the generous side when the machine tells the rider "you're in need of a fill-up, stupid!"

But what is the point of under-representing when you have filled the ol' girl to the brim?

what gives?

Pete

·
Registered
522 Posts
petevandyke said:
OK, 2004 LT, experimenting I have filled the tank both on the side stand AND on the centerstand, topping off the tank visually, literally drop by drop to the very TOP (and no, I didn't use a bic lighter to check how much was in it, but I AM almost dumb enough to do that, thankyouverymuch...).

Either way, sidestand or centerstand when filled, gas cap back on, ignition on and engine fired up, sit for a minute on idle and the fuel gauge never gets above about 6-degrees under the last hash mark on its way to "F"

I understand the trip computer registering "---" on miles to empty when you actually have .8 gallons left or whatever it is, I understand the fuel light popping on when you have 1.2 gallons left (I believe), I understand what the owner's manual says is just under a gallon left when the needle hits the red block of the gauge...because I've been stupid enough to run out of gas before, and better to err on the generous side when the machine tells the rider "you're in need of a fill-up, stupid!"

But what is the point of under-representing when you have filled the ol' girl to the brim?

what gives?

Pete
My 05 LT was the same from day one. At the 600 mile service the dealer did something to adjust. Now it shows full on the side stand without to much back and forth with the pump nozzle. Still shows one notch empty if I fill on the center stand.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My 99' does the same thing. Fill'er to the top of the neck and she is always a hair below the full mark. It ticks me off every time I fill her up but what are ya gonna do. I guess it is something BMW isn't to concerned about since it is doing it on the newer models as well. I think they are more concerned with fixing the major problems like rear drives, slave cylinders, and stuff like that.:histerica

Well, one day they will.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,919 Posts
petevandyke said:

what gives?

Pete
Ok - I'll take to the other side with a who cares if it indicates full - you just filled it up. Do you really need a guage to tell you what you just did? :rolleyes: Mine is full scale for about 2 minutes of riding then it drops down a notch.

I worry more about the other end of the scale as it just doesn't stay on full long when you'er rolling down the road.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
2002 and never been full. Like you, I have added as slow as I could with the nozzle just out of the tank. Cap back on and oull out into the road and almost a full tank.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mine is full scale for about 2 minutes of riding then it drops down a notch.
Mine too, I also just worry about the lower end of the scale.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
I guess I'm the lucky one in the group when I fill her up to the brim my guage reads full. (butt not for long :rotf: ). Also unless I'm on a trip I don't let her get much below a 1/4 tank before a refill :D

·
Prodigal Son
1,297 Posts
one word--OVERFLOW

Not being able to fill it "all the way" probably, is actoooly not a "fault" , but a "design feature" to prevent "burping" overflows due to expansion from colder underground storage. (And BTW, filling the cannister with petrol in the process.)

See ya just gotta think a leetle like a german.(lol)

·
Registered
538 Posts
early1 said:
Not being able to fill it "all the way" probably, is actoooly not a "fault" , but a "design feature" to prevent "burping" overflows due to expansion from colder underground storage. (And BTW, filling the cannister with petrol in the process.)

See ya just gotta think a leetle like a german.(lol)
That's one reason why I did the cannisterectomy........

·
Registered
878 Posts
My never reads full either.

On the other hand, it seems like the guage will indicate empty long before I am out of fuel. It is usually on empty about 80 miles (on the BC) before it is actually empty. I usually start checking the BC fairly often when I get about 200 miles on a tank. I have never put in more than 5.8 gallons, even when the BC indicates <10 miles remaining.

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
Luxuries taken for granted

It is interesting how what didn't even exist previously is now expected to be perfect. If I remember correctly, and it has been a while, several of my first bikes did not even come with a fuel gauge. Simply a reserve valve that you turned, to get the last pint of gas before a fill up. Your first indication that you were running low, if you didn't remember to check your odometer, was a slow sputter as the carb ran out of gas. Kinda liked it that way and miss the lack of gas hesitation. I think my first VW had that too!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
My previous 1999 and my current 2002 never showed/show it full.
And I don't bother.
Actually, my theory is that it's full, but as soon as you turn on the bike, you will consume some gas, then it's not full any more :)

Just be aware that if you over-fuel it, you can send gas to the canister, and then you will have a big mess.. (ready here about Canister and Canisterctomy).

If you part on the side stand, in a flat, but incline surface (I mean, the bike is on the side stand and flat, but the front is higher then the rear), you will get most gas, but also the biggest chance to over-fill.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It could also be affected by hysteresis. This is the same reason why a needle on a pressure valve will move just a little bit when it is tapped on.

·
Registered
878 Posts
dandiver said:
It is interesting how what didn't even exist previously is now expected to be perfect. If I remember correctly, and it has been a while, several of my first bikes did not even come with a fuel gauge. Simply a reserve valve that you turned, to get the last pint of gas before a fill up. Your first indication that you were running low, if you didn't remember to check your odometer, was a slow sputter as the carb ran out of gas. Kinda liked it that way and miss the lack of gas hesitation. I think my first VW had that too!
I agree that our expectations today are much greater than they were in the past.

I think that once you add a feature to a product today, people expect it to work correctly. When I learned to fly over 20 years ago, the instructors made it clear that the only time an aircraft fuel gauge had to be accurate was when it was empty. This attitude works well for other vehicles as well.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gauges and full and empty, oh my...

devil's advocate to devil's advocate post...the only reason it would 'matter' to me that when I top off the ol' girl and it shows about 7/8th full on the fuel gauge is that it makes me wonder..."ok, if it's not accurate on the FULL side, is it going to be accurate on the EMPTY side if I make a mistake and find myself in trouble someday and am too far from a gas station when I realize that I am in trouble?"

Full face helmet with restricted downward sight lines, 6'1" tall, GPS system mounted, urban traffic, I don't always notice when the low fuel warning light pops on, and I also don't look at my fuel gauge often enough...

Besides, on a motorcycle that "stickered" at a hair shy of $19,500 when the previous owner bought it, I'd think something like a fuel gauge should be accurate...I struggle enough with the fact that throttle WFO my speedo shows just under 140 and below is what my now WAAS-enabled gps said I was really going (yup, that's 14 MPH off)...but built-in speedo error is a lot different than gasoline supply in my eyes.
\
I guess it's kinda' like when I bought my Bentley Azure and the damn cupholder wouldn't hold my super big-gulp cups, those bastards.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Fuel gauge

My 2000 is perfect. Fill it too the very top on the side stand and the fuel gauge reads exactly full, but it does require filling right up to the tank opening (sometimes a little over with gas sloshing around in the fuel cap well). I have done the cannister removal, filling it to the very top does risk canister clogging.

The fix if you are fussy about your fuel gauge: I think that a BMW service department can calibrate the fuel gauge electonics with the MoDiTek computer. Next time you are in for service ask them if they can do it.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Mine never shows full either. The bike computer however has never let me down, and caused me to run out of gas. Let's go ride. Just got back from Austin, and I'm headed back down on Saturday for the Tech Session.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
FWIW, my '05 consistently shows full (and stays that way for several miles) when filled to just above the recess-thingy ("vapor cup"?) and on the side stand. On the center stand it always shows 1 LCD segment shy of "full".

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
damn, missing another tech day? email me, the next few weeks are nuts, but gettin together for a ride would be great...

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
I wasn't sure what a Bentley Azure was, so I looked it up in Google images. Nice wheels. But why does it come in colors other than blue? :)

To stay on topic, I also don't care what the gauge reads unless it's almost empty. I usually watch the BC when getting close. Did you know that when it goes from 10 to --- that you can ride 25 more miles. Almost. ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts