BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what the inside of your fuel filter looks like

.I replaced my fuel filter as part of the "winter project" & got a little curious about what was inside, so I cut it open & here's what I found.
Good quality, I was impressed by the thickness of the metal (almost a 1/16").

Attachments

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
It has to be pretty thick, being aluminum. It has to withstand fuel injection pressure, over 50 PSI.

People have replaced filters on vehicles that have fuel injection using similar sized filters meant for carburetor systems (3-7 PSI) and had them split open, which understandably be disastrous.

In the past here owners have replaced the tank internal filter with an external one for easier future change, and I have always warned to be sure one gets a filter specified for fuel injection, as similar sized ones are available for low pressure systems.

·
Registered
285 Posts
How many miles? and, Would the dirty side be the outside?

·
Registered
847 Posts
You probably are;but it looks like you should replace the hoses also.

Gary
2003 K1200LT

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We're approaching 48,000... so 24,000 Mi service. The dirty side would be on the outside, but no visible contamination (it would have to be pretty small anyway to get past the pump inlet screen) just darkening of the element. I'd have to kill a new one to compare....$$.

New hose ? Yes, Absolutely ! $ 57.00 from MAX BMW .....Just read the Horror stories about failed fuel hoses in the tank, (cheap insurance) I also get new "squeezum" clamps.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Not to change the thread on anybody;Rand I was wondering if you changed your brake lines on your bike ;reason I ask is ;I have a 2003 K1200LT with 50,000 miles on it and I think that might be in the near future.
I am just checking what others are doing :bmw:

Gary

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Those hoses have really gone up. They were $44 when I changed mine. It's worth the money. The preformed hoses are easier to install than trying to use just straight hose. The submersible hose was $25 a foot and hard to find. I got my "squeeze 'em" clamps at a local welding supply along with the crimping tool ($14). Works great. This kind of job you only want to do ONCE............ :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't mind spending a couple extra bucks for the pre formed F/I hoses. I know that they'll be the right spec, & fit correctly.
This project includes brake lines also. (I've been collecting parts for a year) I bought Spiegelers last summer because I could see the rear hose swell a little when I pushed on the pedal. They don't fit exactly the same as the originals, but you can make them fit just fine with a little twizzeling.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
rhawk said:
Here's what the inside of your fuel filter looks like

.I replaced my fuel filter as part of the "winter project" & got a little curious about what was inside, so I cut it open & here's what I found.
Good quality, I was impressed by the thickness of the metal (almost a 1/16").
This thread just proves that on this forum we would take apart anything to get a good look inside.

Just made me think that we spend more time "polishing" the inside of out LTs than an HD owner spends polishing the outside...

That should be the motto of this group. "Polish The Inside Till She Rides Like An LT"

·
Registered
847 Posts
pauleknight said:
This thread just proves that on this forum we would take apart anything to get a good look inside.

Just made me think that we spend more time "polishing" the inside of out LTs than an HD owner spends polishing the outside...

That should be the motto of this group. "Polish The Inside Till She Rides Like An LT"

That line strike me just right;I got quite a chuckle out of that one :histerica
Gary
2003 K1200LT

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
rhawk said:
I don't mind spending a couple extra bucks for the pre formed F/I hoses. I know that they'll be the right spec, & fit correctly.
This project includes brake lines also. (I've been collecting parts for a year) I bought Spiegelers last summer because I could see the rear hose swell a little when I pushed on the pedal. They don't fit exactly the same as the originals, but you can make them fit just fine with a little twizzeling.
Just a thought... are those white zip-ties UV resistant? If not, might want to swap them out with some good black UV resistant ones.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh Wow Dude.......................
I would Never leave white bundle ties on the LT where you could See them.
Those are just there for fit & clearance. The black (real) ties are already installed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts