BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...where is the instructions for replacing the fuel filter? I checked the tech resource and did a search but nothing there anywhere.

Can someone please point me in the right direction please.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
yep Im pointing you towards full plastic removal, :) its in the fuel tank pull the sender unit out and its on the bottom

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
Road_King said:
...where is the instructions for replacing the fuel filter? I checked the tech resource and did a search but nothing there anywhere.

Can someone please point me in the right direction please.

Thanks!
Clymer manual or BMW CD-ROM, or better yet, get both as I did and cross check them. Then search for specific things here and ask when you can't find something.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ouchie! Full tupperware removal and upside tank... not good. And I have a full tank of gas. Time to siphon it. :-(

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Road_King said:
Ouchie! Full tupperware removal and upside tank... not good. And I have a full tank of gas. Time to siphon it. :-(

Thanks guys.
It is not a mechanically difficult job, but there are a lot of time consuming steps in the process. First time in take a while after that it's old hat. This is also a good time to replace the plastic quick disconnects with metal ones and to put on screw type clamps. I would not begin without the Clymer or similar manuel in hand.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,420 Posts
It is a 24K service item and you normally have the tank off to replace the air filter as well. Be sure and use good quality smooth(FI) screw hose clamp fittings to hold it in place. You don't want a hose popping off after you reinstall and fill the tank.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I replaced my hoses inside the tank while I was there. Yours will be 10 years old now. Just a thought............. :D

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
You can do it without tank removal. Run her low on fuel, low as you dare. Take the right side plastic off, bike on side stand. Unplug fuel lines and one elec. plug Unscrew the large "nut", change filter, reverse dissassembly and off you go. Less than an hour. Hope that helps. short version, hope i didn't miss anything.

Zeke

·
Registered
228 Posts
Zeke said:
You can do it without tank removal. Run her low on fuel, low as you dare. Take the right side plastic off, bike on side stand. Unplug fuel lines and one elec. plug Unscrew the large "nut", change filter, reverse dissassembly and off you go. Less than an hour. Hope that helps. short version, hope i didn't miss anything.

Zeke
Now that's a great tip!

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
If you know someone who has the Paul Sayegh service video borrow it. It goes through changing the fuel filter as well as much more.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Great idea!

I bought a set of Paul's videos four or so years ago, but lost them during divorce, moving, remarriage, and moving again...

Anyone have a set I can borrow for a week or two so I can refresh my memory as I get stated with deeper maintenance on my LT again? Of course, I will pay Priority Mail postage (insured) both ways, via an emailed PDF of a pre-paid label.

Please send PM.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Zeke said:

Zeke
Yeah, you missed something. It can't be done this way.

Sorry, calling total bullshit on this one. (In honor of El Jeffe) :D

·
Registered
494 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Great idea!

I bought a set of Paul's videos four or so years ago, but lost them during divorce, moving, remarriage, and moving again...

Anyone have a set I can borrow for a week or two so I can refresh my memory as I get stated with deeper maintenance on my LT again? Of course, I will pay Priority Mail postage (insured) both ways, via an emailed PDF of a pre-paid label.

Please send PM.

Tony, I sent you an email to your email address regarding you using the Service DVD...

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Responded with the information you requested, Bill.

Have to adjust my valves, have to check them first. Probably the only thing I have not yet done on any of my LTs. They were checked for me, but that was too close after the crash and I do not remember much about that. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Can anyone point me in the direction of the part numbers and descriptions for the hose clamp replacement. I have the fuel and air filters but not sure what parts need to be replaced for the clamps you guys mentioned.
Thanks, Rich.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Go to AutoZone, O'Reilly, Kragen, NAPA, Checker... Most auto parts stores will have the fuel injection hose clamps.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,420 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Yeah, you missed something. It can't be done this way.

Sorry, calling total bullshit on this one. (In honor of El Jeffe) :D
I'll bet he forgot to say "remove the tipover bar frame along with the lower plastic". I was just in there today and it might be possible but I wouldn't want to do it that way.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Road_King said:

Thanks guys.
All my yard equipment LOVES High Test! :dance:

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
It can be done without removing the fuel tank. The only additional information I would add is to lightly lube the large rubber sealing ring upon re-assembly. There is definitely a possibility of leakage if this isn't done. Ask me how I know! RH tipover bar must be removed, also. Two fasteners is all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts