BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing the fuel filter and need to know how to remove the retainers on the fuel lines that hold the filter. The BMW manual mentions a tool and then just talks about replacing them using pliers. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
RiderRay said:
I'm changing the fuel filter and need to know how to remove the retainers on the fuel lines that hold the filter. The BMW manual mentions a tool and then just talks about replacing them using pliers. Any help would be appreciated.
I cut mine off and replaced them with standard screw type hose clamps

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you're talking about the clamps that fit over the rubber fuel line that slips over the filter inlet and outlet, I just cut them off with side cutters and replaced them with proper sized gear clamps. The kind you tighten with a screw driver. THT

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. That's what I was planning but just wanted to see if I was missing something.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
RiderRay said:
Thanks guys. That's what I was planning but just wanted to see if I was missing something.
I opened up the permanent clamp with a screwdriver. Side the appropriately sized head of a screwdriver into the clamp crimp and pry it apart. The crimp is the notched out portion of the clamp. It can be pry'd open from the inside to make the clamp have a larger diameter. Man, I don't think I 'm explaining this well at all. But the clamp can be made to spread apart and slide off the end of the hose.

HTH
Jer

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
jers99lt said:
I opened up the permanent clamp with a screwdriver. Side the appropriately sized head of a screwdriver into the clamp crimp and pry it apart. The crimp is the notched out portion of the clamp. It can be pry'd open from the inside to make the clamp have a larger diameter. Man, I don't think I 'm explaining this well at all. But the clamp can be made to spread apart and slide off the end of the hose.

HTH
Jer
Yup, I reused my OEM clamps up until the 60K service when I replaced them with worm clamps. I'd just spread them open a little as described by Jer above, and then would crimp them back after the new filter was installed. Never a problem. I just thought after several cycles the metal might have started to fatigue.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I would recommend using clamps designated for use on fuel injection systems - rather than ordinary screw clamps. They dont cut into the hose like screw clamps and are designed to hold the hose on with high pressure inside.
Thats what I used when I replaced my stock quick connects with metal ones.

·
Registered
265 Posts
OK shame on me, I bought my LT with 11K on it, I know have 43 and have never changed the fuel filter(or air filter for that matter). I have never had the fuel tank out. So my question is, when I DO pull that tank, is it possible to install a remote filter? Is it possible to just add hose and move it to a more accessible location?

I'm getting around to it...

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
StLHeadake said:
OK shame on me, I bought my LT with 11K on it, I know have 43 and have never changed the fuel filter(or air filter for that matter). I have never had the fuel tank out. So my question is, when I DO pull that tank, is it possible to install a remote filter? Is it possible to just add hose and move it to a more accessible location?

I'm getting around to it...
There are pros and cons about relocating the fuel line. Read all about it here
I decided against it for safty and there's always something else you can take care of once the tupperware is off. I added QD's from smallparts.com to make it easier next time.

HTH,
Jer

·
Registered
659 Posts
jers99lt said:
I added QD's from smallparts.com to make it easier next time.
HTH, Jer
What's a "QD"?

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Reid said:
What's a "QD"?
Quick Disconnects. Smallparts.com are metal with shutoffs on male and female ends. Needed 2 pairs for the upgrade since my '99 didn't have them at all.

Jer

·
Registered
345 Posts
I would replace the quick connects. When I did my first filter replacement they looked good. About 12,000 miles later out on the road one of mind started leaking with no warning.

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
RealWing said:
I would recommend using clamps designated for use on fuel injection systems - rather than ordinary screw clamps. They dont cut into the hose like screw clamps and are designed to hold the hose on with high pressure inside.
Agreed. If you're gonna bother changing them, just get the good clamps and be done with it.

I replaced the fuel filter on my LT at a friend's house and re-used the old clamps. On the ride home I had a fuel hose slip off and the bike simply died. I had to trailer it home and pull the gas tank again, after I had filled it up. :( I should have just done it right the first time.

Also, replacing the plastic quick disconnects with the metal ones is a good idea, at least from a safety standpoint. Just be careful putting them in and out that you don't damage the o-ring seal and they'll last the life of the bike.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where do you find clamps designated for fuel lines?

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,592 Posts
RiderRay said:
When I purchased my fuel filter from my dealer, they provided the clamps. Now if they are the correct ones or not is another question.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
RiderRay said:
I purchased mine from an auto parts store in the neighborhood. After BMW service was asking $4 per, I bought 2 (supported my local dealer) and decided to look elsewhere since I needed 4 more of them for my QD install. Those were less than half the price and were identical to the ones with a BMW part number.
The thing to look for in fuel line clamps are the curled up edges, such that flex at the end of the clamp does not bite into the hose.

HTH,
Jer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts