BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my fuel filter for the first time to a Napa Gold per recommendation and to save some money Two questions:
1. IS it OK to use the green hose clamps that came with the filter or do I need to get something different for this pressurized system? I really don't like the BMW crimp type of hose clamps.
2. Once I install the pump and fuel lines if I don't see any leaks after starting it up and running up to about 6k, should I be OK putting all the tuperware back on it? Is there any other test necessary to ensure it's leak free?
Thanks,
Tom

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
That filter is not rated for fuel injection pressure nor does it have the correct micron number for fuel injection systems. I don't know what the clamps look like that come with the filter because I would never consider using that filter.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just changed mine over to the Napa filter. The guy at Napa said the spring clamps are good for fuel injection. But I wasn't so sure so I bought the screw type fuel injection hose clamps. Napa filter came recommended from Beemer uses here in Canada with no ill effects. They have been using them for ages with no failures to pressure. At the same time I changed out the hoses with a Gates submersible hose after reading about the BMW hoses letting go and stranding you away form home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. I put it all back together and drove it the other morning for a few blocks. Got to a light and saw some dripping on the right side so I pulled it apart but don't see any leaks when it is at idle or even when I rev it up. Should I worry or if there are no obvious leaks do I just put it up to some fluke? I'm concerned and a bit confused.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
leaks are never a fluke, and because it's fuel I would suggest double checking the sealing ring tension on the bottom and the qd's, would not want it to catch fire, where was the drip below the tank or in line with your bum, the are tank breather hoses back there.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Shouldn't be any dripping from any place if you have quick disconnects. My 00 didn't come with them.

i've seen reports of people replacing the stock quick disconnects with ones from Beemer bone yard because the LT ones are not a sturdy as they could be.

since its such a pain to replace the fuel filter I always use a BMW one; i've replaced the lines inside the gas tank to ones that are flex.

bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank guys. I am going to pull everything apart again and double check the work and all the parts. I'm installing the metal disconnects and will make all the changes needed to be safe. Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.
Tom

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
if you are changing all 4 qd's, do them opposite each other, then when you remove next time they can only go together one way.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Just changed mine over to the Napa filter. The guy at Napa said the spring clamps are good for fuel injection. But I wasn't so sure so I bought the screw type fuel injection hose clamps. Napa filter came recommended from Beemer uses here in Canada with no ill effects. They have been using them for ages with no failures to pressure. At the same time I changed out the hoses with a Gates submersible hose after reading about the BMW hoses letting go and stranding you away form home.
The "guy" at Napa is completely wrong about spring clamps, and if you are using a worm drive clamp they are just as bad since they chew into the hoses. You need to use fuel injection clamps. Period.

That filter is NOT rated for an LT for two reasons (as Dave stated above) micron size and fi pressure rating. Dave builds NASCAR engines - I THINK he knows what he's talking about. :rolleyes:

No problems? Just luck... If you think the filters are expensive just WAIT until you have to pay for new throttle bodies :crazy: It will blow your mind.

The BMW hose is submersible rated hose - nothing wrong with it at all except the cost you pay for a special bend. It's not going to strand you anymore than any other brand of submersible hose that's old and needs to be replaced. They don't last forever and most folks are seeing 10 years use before they wear out. That's amazing service life from a hose that is submerged in gasoline for that long...

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
While waiting on my new brakes lines to arrive (today, finally) I've done other maintenance including the fuel filter using a Mann MWK-44. The bike has 42K but not sure if the BMW filter was the original or not.

Note to any future 1st timer: You'll want an oil wrench that opens to at least 4-1/2" to get around the "nut" that holds the assembly in the tank.

Anyhow...the clamps. I reused the crimp clamps and did not replace the fuel line for two reasons but am starting to second-guess this. The tank is still on the garage floor, btw...nearly full, too (which was no big deal.)

1. I wasn't sure about using the screw clamps I bought since they would be immersed in gas. Didn't know if a special type was needed.

2. The existing fuel line (has a green stripe on it) looked to be in great shape. No signs of deterioration. Wasn't sure if the gas line I bought to replace it had to be a special "gas immersible" type. Of course, if I think about it, it's fine since gas would be inside the line...

Many of you guys scare the crap out of me when I think about the things that could leave me stranded. It makes me smarter, but some things can be over-thought.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Gasoline hose has an internal liner and an external layer. They are usually not the same material. If it's not submersion rated it will fail. It'll probably work for awhile, but..... IT WILL FAIL. With that said, the leak the OP had was likely from where the hose connected to the QD. My RT did the same thing when I replaced the QDs. It was leaking where the clamp went around the hose, but as the pressure built, the barb would slide towards the clamped surace and seal it. So you probably just need to tighten your hose clamp a little bit. And while I'm at it, the NAPA filter may be pressure rated for a throttle body FI system which is about 15 PSI. I can believe that. The LT runs at 51 PSI. I'm with Ron and Dave on this one.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Anyhow...the clamps. I reused the crimp clamps and did not replace the fuel line for two reasons but am starting to second-guess this. The tank is still on the garage floor, btw...nearly full, too (which was no big deal.)

Many of you guys scare the crap out of me when I think about the things that could leave me stranded. It makes me smarter, but some things can be over-thought.
I re-used one of the crimp clamps one time replacing the filter and it lasted about 2500 miles before leaving me stranded. Fortunately only about 25 miles from home. I got in a hurry wanting to ride, and tried cutting a fat hog you know where and paid the price. :bmw:

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
I am pretty sure the Napa/WIX filter is rated for 60 PSI. I will contact them to make sure. I have not heard of one bursting.
NAPA filters are made by WIX. When I was looking for a replacement filter I could buy in a parts store I talked to our WIX representative (they are one of our sponsors) & he put me in touch with with an engineer at WIX. I gave him all the spects. for the LT & he got back with me & said they do not make a filter that would replace the factory Mahle fuel filter that BMW sells.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
NAPA filters are made by WIX. When I was looking for a replacement filter I could buy in a parts store I talked to our WIX representative (they are one of our sponsors) & he put me in touch with with an engineer at WIX. I gave him all the spects. for the LT & he got back with me & said they do not make a filter that would replace the factory Mahle fuel filter that BMW sells.
You aren't suggesting that an engineer at Wix knows more about Wix filters than do Beemer riders from Canada, are you? :histerica

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just did my filter for the 1st time. Used OEM, I put a couple of gal back in before puting back on bike and I had a leak at the rubber seal. Glad I checked before reinstalling tank. You have to be careful when puting the fuel module back in and don't let it turn on you. Also it's a good ideal to mark retainer ring when removing.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
I just did my filter for the 1st time. Used OEM, I put a couple of gal back in before puting back on bike and I had a leak at the rubber seal. Glad I checked before reinstalling tank. You have to be careful when puting the fuel module back in and don't let it turn on you. Also it's a good ideal to mark retainer ring when removing.
There are already two arrows that need to be lined up with each other.

·
Registered
371 Posts
You aren't suggesting that an engineer at Wix knows more about Wix filters than do Beemer riders from Canada, are you? :histerica
Voyager, your reply insults Canadians. So let me ask you this If your mam and dad got divorced would they still be brother and sister?

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Voyager, your reply insults Canadians. So let me ask you this If your mam and dad got divorced would they still be brother and sister?
You either missed the point or are feigning having missed the point to have cover to attempt to make a personal attack.

The point was that anyone who would believe anecdotes rather than a bona fide expert in the subject at hand is delusional. Matters not the nationality of the source of the anecdote. I used Canadian Beemer riders only because that is what was mentioned in the earlier post. The point I was making was independent of the source of the anecdote.

Now, your insult, which was clearly intended to be a personal attack, does far more damage to the reputation of Canadians. Please, at least try to be a little bit creative in your next attempt and not just recycle old redneck jokes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts