BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I did a major service on a 99 LT which included changing the fuel filter. After everything was back together i started it up and it ran for maybe 10 seconds or so then cut out. I tried several more times cranking maybe 4-6 each time, let it rest a minute then cracked again. All lights were on and every else appeared normal. On the 3 rd or 4th try she fired up and ran smooth. I am wondering if having replaced the fuel filter it took the pump a while to fill it so that when it first started it was running off gas in the lines on the far side of filter, then there would have been an air gap until the filter filled up and fuel starting flowing thru the lines to the engine again?

Anyone else had this happen to them?

Anything that could have caused this?

RM

·
Registered
321 Posts
the_rocketman said:
I am wondering if having replaced the fuel filter it took the pump a while to fill it so that when it first started it was running off gas in the lines on the far side of filter, then there would have been an air gap until the filter filled up and fuel starting flowing thru the lines to the engine again?

RM
You hit it right on the nose. This is common on vehicle with fuel injection. Normally I will just turn the key to on for a couple of seconds then off for a few seconds. Repeat several times and listen for the fuel pump noise to change as the pressure increases. You have to also push all the air through fuel lines and past the fuel pressure regulator and injectors. I think I remember it taking 5 cycles before the pump sound changed when I replaced the filters on the k bikes at my place.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Same thing happend to me

I had to turn the ignition on to prime the pump/filter about 3 times before It cranked over.h

1 - 3 of 3 Posts