BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, not another "How do I REALLY fill the tank?" question. This is a technique question since I seemed to have damaged my tank.

This is a picture looking down into the filler spout:

The ring is cracked in the 10 O'Clock position. The dealer said they have never seen this before, but they are going to replace the tank under warranty :thumb:. I told them I always place the fuel nozzle into the spout and let it click in and rest there just like I fill my cage. Then when the pump shuts off, I pull back the vapor recovery boot and fill to the bottom of the spout. The dealer tells me they don't know anyone that fills a motorcycle this way. I should be pulling the boot back right from the beginning and filling the entire tank that way. Never rest the nozzle in the spout the way you would with a cage.

I had never heard this before. Anyone else? Are you supposed to support the nozzle the entire time the tank is filling? Not a big deal, but I've never caught on to that. There is nothing about this in the owners manual. Did I not catch this somewhere in my countless hours of reading here? It is cracked exactly where the nozzle rests, so it makes sense I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks for any help.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,597 Posts
Well we don't have the vapor recovery boots here in this part of the country. ( But I remember them from my CA days.) When I did use those I always held the boot fully back until I was through filling the tank. Yeah it was a pain.

Even though we don't have the boots here I never just leave the nozzle hanging on the tank. It only take a few seconds to fill it up so I always hold on to it to support it. But right there is where I put the tip of the nozzle.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Dan,

I fill my LT (and my Harley) just the same way as you describe. Never had a problem with the Harley, but it is a metal tank and metal neck. I'm new to the LT, so have not had time to see what happens if I continue with this filling methodology.

I, too, am interested to see what input this community has to share.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
I too fill up my tank the way you described.
My tank ring has a crack where yours has a crack. The dealer also said he had never seen this before, and didn't want to replace while the bike was under warranty, but he also explains that this crack didn't matter at all, and after looking closely I have to agree. No leak will happen there as this is just a guide for the gas nozzle.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
FWIW, no crack in my tank ring -- but I have always supported the nozzle/hose.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
No crack on mine, but never leave it in or trust the auto shutoff.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
On my 05" the first week I had it as I was sticking the nozzel in the tank it slipped out of my grip went sideways and cracked the inner ring. When I removed the nozzel the plastic ring came out with it. Best thing that ever happened. It is just a plastic piece that is not part of the tank's side wall it's just so you don't put leaded gas in it. I can now see into the tank as I fill up and is much easier to fill. Just snap it out.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Thanks for the Heads-Up

I have always just left the fill-up nozzle in the tank and depended upon the auto shut off the do its job. Never had a problem, but will now hold on to it, just to be sure. No cracks, but I plan to keep the bike for a while longer. Appreciate you sharing the information.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
dandiver said:
I have always just left the fill-up nozzle in the tank and depended upon the auto shut off the do its job.
Same here but I support the nozzel/hose while filling, then pull back vapor recovery boot and top off.

FYI: I fill up while sitting on the bike, keeps tank level so I can get maximum fuel in, easier to see into tank and easy to support nozzel.

·
Registered
424 Posts
dmatson said:
On my 05" the first week I had it as I was sticking the nozzel in the tank it slipped out of my grip went sideways and cracked the inner ring. When I removed the nozzel the plastic ring came out with it. Best thing that ever happened. It is just a plastic piece that is not part of the tank's side wall it's just so you don't put leaded gas in it. I can now see into the tank as I fill up and is much easier to fill. Just snap it out.
Same here on the inner ring thingy. It was dangling there by a final bit of plastic. I just reached in with bare fingers and pulled it out. It's paper thin. It almost seems like it's just left over swarf from the molding process. Don't worry about it. Maybe its there to prevent putting leaded gas in the tank.

·
Registered
368 Posts
dougholck said:
..FYI: I fill up while sitting on the bike, keeps tank level so I can get maximum fuel in ...
I think that I read in the manual that you get maximum fuel when you fill the tank on the side stand. When I first starting riding the LT I would always fill on the center stand and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the fuel guage to register full. Then I read the manual and discovered why. YMMV

Edit: I did a quick search on +fuel +side+stand
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1304&highlight=fuel+side+stand
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15434&highlight=fuel+side+stand

·
Registered
33 Posts
dglenn1 said:
No, not another "How do I REALLY fill the tank?" question. This is a technique question since I seemed to have damaged my tank.

The ring is cracked in the 10 O'Clock position. The dealer said they have never seen this before, but they are going to replace the tank under warranty :thumb:. I told them I always place the fuel nozzle into the spout and let it click in and rest there just like I fill my cage. Then when the pump shuts off, I pull back the vapor recovery boot and fill to the bottom of the spout. The dealer tells me they don't know anyone that fills a motorcycle this way. I should be pulling the boot back right from the beginning and filling the entire tank that way. Never rest the nozzle in the spout the way you would with a cage.

I had never heard this before. Anyone else? Are you supposed to support the nozzle the entire time the tank is filling? Not a big deal, but I've never caught on to that. There is nothing about this in the owners manual. Did I not catch this somewhere in my countless hours of reading here? It is cracked exactly where the nozzle rests, so it makes sense I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks for any help.
Perhaps I can add a bit of information???? I'm an instructor pilot and many aircraft have a
similar ring on the fuel tank. I always instruct those fueling to hold the nozzle. For the same reason you have now experienced. Not so much for cracks but bending, which will
lead to leaking at altitude.....I've adopted the same procedure for my LT when I saw the ring...Take Care

·
Registered
528 Posts
I too, always hold the nozzle while I am filling up any of my bikes. Never put that little lock on and leave it there to auto-shutoff to click.
Also I realized something else during my recent (last week's) trip to Missouri.
Here in CA you can adjust the speed of the flow with the most of the nozzles. After entering AZ then in UT, CO, KS, MO, TX, OK it was always the case that the nozzles seem to have only two settings Full ON or OFF...
Thank God I was filling up my RV.
If it was a motorcycle it is impossible to fill up to the bottom of the neck or the last 1/4 gal without splashing all over the place....

Anybody noticed this?

·
Registered
231 Posts
dglenn1 said:

Thanks for any help.
I use same technique as you described, but always hold the nozzle pushed against the spout - straight down until it clicks, then pull back the boot to finish up fueling.
52K miles so far with no signs of damage.
BJ

·
Premium Member
7,688 Posts
dglenn1 said:

Thanks for any help.
You are doing something very wrong. I have never "hung" the nozzle from any motorcycle I have ever owned. I always hold the nozzle as I fill the tank. I ride regularly with probably 20 other riders and I have never seen one do what you do. I would not think of doing that on a bike with a plastic fuel tank. And even my old metal tank bikes I wouldn't do that for fear of chipping the paint.

I'll have to check my owner's manual next time I am at the bike to see if it has any instructions regarding filling the tank.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman! :histerica

This thread started and ended nearly 7 years ago!!

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Lee510 said:
Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman! :histerica

This thread started and ended nearly 7 years ago!!
Rightrudder2 has been digging in the archives. :) :)

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I trusted the auto shut-off once and I got my bike covered in fuel. I hold the nozzle always now. And fueling on the sidestand will allow you to get more fuel in as it puts the inlet on the top. Makes sense, eh............. :D

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,597 Posts
Voyager said:
I'll have to check my owner's manual next time I am at the bike to see if it has any instructions regarding filling the tank.

The manual gives no guidance on how to hold the nozzle, but I am with you on this. But is does state "...on the side stand." It also cautions not to fill above the ring to allow for expansion. I never dangle the nozzle in the tank. For as long as it takes to fill I can hold it. Besides the fuel level sending unit is very close to where the end of a fully inserted nozzle will be, easy to dent it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts