BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious about the fuel economy of the K1200Lt's. I purchased a new '98 1200LT and sold it with almost 28000 miles on it and never remembering getting more than 45 mpg at the very best. I have recently purchased an '05 and '06 1200LT. The '06 has about 15K on it and the '05 has about 7K. I here so many people saying they are getting like 50+ mpg on their bikes. Both of mine are getting only about 40 mph. Just some thoughts here about what I might do to increase the mpg's.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
The only time I have ever gotten 50+ on my 2005 is in the Rocky Mountains (or other high elevations where the motronic leans out the mixture for the thin air). Most of the time I have averaged about 43-46 because I love to turn the throttle hard. If you drive like a little old lady on a Sunday you too can get 50 + out of yours.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I have an 05 as well with 35k on it and the best I get is 46. I don't drive too aggressively but I do have fun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that. The best I get is right around 40 mpg. I am just curious how some of these are getting 50 mpg plus. Maybe straight highway riding I guess. I have never had the 05 or 06 on a big trip yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have read some things about guys using the BG-44 premium fuel injector cleaner. Any suggestions about running that through the system and any good or harm it may cause?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have checked every tank for mileage since i bought the Silver Sow 10 years ago. My yearly average is at 44.3 mpg. Most of this is 2 up, and over 40,000 miles have been long distance tours, with full bags (some of it pulling a trailer).

If you keep it below 60 mph, you will get into the 48 mpg range, over 75, look for around 42.

Enjoy the ride!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
I guess I should have mentioned my record low of 28 MPG. It happened in West Texas trying to do 75, in a head wind pulling a fully loaded Bushtec trailer. I was not going to make my next gas stop so I slowed down to 60 and kept getting passed by big rigs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the responses. It appears around 40 mpg sounds about right for the way I have been riding. I do push the bikes pretty hard when I have been riding them. I have performed a lot of work myself on both bikes since I have had them (thanks so much for Kirk Johnsons videos / BTW if you really want to appreciate your K1200LT I would highly recommend watching all of his videos and doing all the work yourself. It is so much more grateful knowing you did the work yourself). New fuel filters, air filters, oil / transmission / rear drive fluid replacement, coolant replacement, brake lines and brake fluid flushing and more. After I have completed the services I would take them out for rides to check my work and have been checking the gas mileage. Both bikes get about the same 40 mpg. I have a nice ride of about 25 round trip and with a couple of nice straights and will get them up to about 100mph or so then back to a steady 75mph and so on. Tomorrow a buddy of mine and myself are going on a nice day trip with them. The whole trip will be about 300 miles and will be my first real test with what I would call normal riding. I am sure some fast some slow but again what I would say how I plan to ride. I really want to focus on what kind of gas mileage I get. I will post my results and hopefully get others opinions.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Thanks guys for the responses. It appears around 40 mpg sounds about right for the way I have been riding. I do push the bikes pretty hard when I have been riding them. I have performed a lot of work myself on both bikes since I have had them (thanks so much for Kirk Johnsons videos / BTW if you really want to appreciate your K1200LT I would highly recommend watching all of his videos and doing all the work yourself. It is so much more grateful knowing you did the work yourself). New fuel filters, air filters, oil / transmission / rear drive fluid replacement, coolant replacement, brake lines and brake fluid flushing and more. After I have completed the services I would take them out for rides to check my work and have been checking the gas mileage. Both bikes get about the same 40 mpg. I have a nice ride of about 25 round trip and with a couple of nice straights and will get them up to about 100mph or so then back to a steady 75mph and so on. Tomorrow a buddy of mine and myself are going on a nice day trip with them. The whole trip will be about 300 miles and will be my first real test with what I would call normal riding. I am sure some fast some slow but again what I would say how I plan to ride. I really want to focus on what kind of gas mileage I get. I will post my results and hopefully get others opinions.
I get more thrills per mile and that is what it is about for me.
I have to keep my windscreen lowered because when I have it adjusted so I am tucked in the pocket I can't seem to keep the bike under 90 MPH which greatly affects my mileage!
It just handles so well at anything over 10MPH!
I get around 40 MPG average on trips.
(I have done all my own work on my ride with a lot of help from the wonderfully, knowledgeable people here, and Kirk's videos, too!)
Cheers!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As promised from a recent post here are the results from my ride. We took both K1200LT's, the '05 and '06 on a 245 miles day trip and the miles per gallon are as follows: 2005 K1200LT averaged 45.7 mpg / 2006 K1200LT averaged 46.3 mpg. I'm not sure if it would make much difference but I had added the B44 injector cleaner to both tanks of fuel before the ride knowing I would be able to run a full tank through the system. The ride was what I would consider normal riding. Nothing to extreme and maybe not as aggressive as I normally would ride. With that said I think I am honestly in the ball park as far as fuel mileage goes. I am guessing anything between 40 to 45 mpg is an honest result. I'm sure I could get 50 mpg like others have stated but not interested in being passed by scooters. Thanks for all the responses.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
I have had all my injectors professionally cleaned and measured a few years ago, I saw absolutely no change in my mileage and the before and after on the injectors was a pretty good gap.

·
Registered
1999 K1200LTC
7 Posts
Just curious about the fuel economy of the K1200Lt's. I purchased a new '98 1200LT and sold it with almost 28000 miles on it and never remembering getting more than 45 mpg at the very best. I have recently purchased an '05 and '06 1200LT. The '06 has about 15K on it and the '05 has about 7K. I here so many people saying they are getting like 50+ mpg on their bikes. Both of mine are getting only about 40 mph. Just some thoughts here about what I might do to increase the mpg's.
Just rode my new-to-me 99 LTC w/59k miles on it 620 miles home and averaged 50ish mpg. Road it some like a sport bike...I'm tickled!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts