BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there all....

My fuel door does not close properly it does not seem to click into place as it should and does not close square with the rest of the tupperware.

any ideas?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
katnapinn said:
Also check the rubber around the opening. It may be binding against the door.
This was what caused my problem. That and the locking mechanism was gummed up. Cleaned that, and put the rubber backing in correctly and it's all good now.

·
Registered
712 Posts
+1 on clean the plastic locking mechanism..contact cleaner or WD40, after that she should be good to go.

fpmlt said:
This was what caused my problem. That and the locking mechanism was gummed up. Cleaned that, and put the rubber backing in correctly and it's all good now.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Keithkmb said:
Hello there all....

My fuel door does not close properly it does not seem to click into place as it should and does not closegas square with the rest of the tupperware.
any ideas?
This happened to me when the dealer did some work on my LT.
Most likely due to (1) improper alignment of the top right fairing installation and (2) dislocated or pinched rubber drip collector drain around the fuel filler. Happens when fairing is removed to change fuel or air filter, etc. If thrown together without the lid alignment in mind it will be too late to straighten.
Try loosening the screws and you will see what needs to happen to square it up.
This kind of crap is why I hate having the dealer remove and reinstall the fairing, they just can't spend the time to nit-pick on the details!

·
Registered
51 Posts
what year? how new? My 09 was like that and found out (through numerous days at the dealer) that the door was warped (dealer tried to say it was from the sun) and later also found out the entire tupperware piece it mounts to had to be replaced. After the tech tried to "jerry rig" it by drilling out the mount hole to try and get it to line up (yea they actually put that comment on the work order). So if cleaning it doesn't help..........

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
SmokinJoe said:
...(2) dislocated or pinched rubber drip collector drain around the fuel filler. ...
Agree, I've fought with mine a couple of times since I got it a couple of years ago. The drip collector drain appears to have taken a permanent set in the wrong location, and so far have been unable to straighten it out (or ran out of patience) to get the door to open fully, or close flush. As long as I can get the gas in and the latch stays shut (albeit, not flush), I've declared success.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
One other possibility -- the catch mechanism (the small rectangular block that receives the doors' post) can break or get pushed out of position.

One way to check is to remove the right tupperware panel and then open/close the door while you observe/feel the latch box looking up from below the edge of the stingray.

·
Registered
415 Posts
my latch flew into pieces a couple of years ago, I glued small magntes to the top of the gas cap and the inside of the cover door...no moving parts and it stays shut, but it does protrude a bit above the rest of the tupperware.
r

·
Registered
207 Posts
Here's a little trick that i used on my Door. It also wasn't closing properly, and it drove me nuts. It would close, and latch, but always "looked" like it was opened. Here's what i did: Only if you don't use the key in the fuel cap.
removed the latch receptacle (it just pops out.). Purchase a strong flat magnet, and either velcro, or cement it to the door or Fuel cap. Glue or velcro a flat piece of metal to the opposite side, and voila, the door shuts completely and security, held together by the magnet. You may have to shim the metal or the magnet so as to make contact with the door. Works great, and now the fuel door looks flush to the fairing.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Sometimes the latch gets sticky and the door won't stay shut. Dry lubricant is the BEST thing to put in there as it doesn't retain grit, grime, etc. Dry lubricant is graphite if memory serves. A small amount keeps the latch from sticking for several years. I have had the same tube for many years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts