BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fuel door latch on my 2002 LT was broken. While the plastics were off for maintenance, I removed the latch and found that it is manufactured by Southco.

I did an internet search and found the latch is also used for electronics enclosures, and that the latch is much cheaper than if purchased through BMW. (Surprise!)

I ordered the latch from Allied Electronics. Link:

Southco Fasteners - E4-10-201-10-RS - TOUCH LATCH - Allied Electronics

I installed mine last weekend and it's working just like new again. Just an FYI if you are looking to replace the fuel door latch.

Dale

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
When I got my bike, the latch was completely missing, not just broken. I bit the bullet and ordered it from the dealer, not knowing any better then.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Hey Dale, thanks for the tip. My bike came with a piece of velcro, and that has worked. I will order the correct part now that I can get it for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thanks for the info. My latch broke and its been flapping around because I refuse to give those Bavarian bastards any more money then necessary for their over priced parts..

·
Registered
315 Posts
I used that Velcro fix on my previous LT, cheap and effective

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
I once thought my latch had broken since it stopped securing itself. I did a search and found that they occasionally need to be cleaned. Took it apart, removed the crud and it's been working ever since.

HTH,
Jer

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I once thought my latch had broken since it stopped securing itself. I did a search and found that they occasionally need to be cleaned. Took it apart, removed the crud and it's been working ever since.

HTH,
Jer
Yeah, I hoped that would be the case with mine. But when I took it apart, it looked like a spring, or some other part, was missing. I considered going the magnet or velcro route, but after finding the correct part was available I splurged and spent the $6.00 for a new one.

Dale

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah, I hoped that would be the case with mine. But when I took it apart, it looked like a spring, or some other part, was missing. I considered going the magnet or velcro route, but after finding the correct part was available I splurged and spent the $6.00 for a new one.

Dale
Sounds like a inexpensive fix. My 05' was missing the latch so I bought a parts bike. :nerd: there may have been other reasons involved, but the Velcro thing just wasn't doing it for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The fuel door latch on my 2002 LT was broken. While the plastics were off for maintenance, I removed the latch and found that it is manufactured by Southco.

I did an internet search and found the latch is also used for electronics enclosures, and that the latch is much cheaper than if purchased through BMW. (Surprise!)

I ordered the latch from Allied Electronics. Link:

Southco Fasteners - E4-10-201-10-RS - TOUCH LATCH - Allied Electronics

I installed mine last weekend and it's working just like new again. Just an FYI if you are looking to replace the fuel door latch.

Dale
I've been watching mine flap in the wind for two years now, never bothering to investigate what was involved with fixing it. I just ordered two :) Thanks for the link!

Does the stingray need to be removed? It looks like from the photo that it will just pop out and the new one presses in without removing anything.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,920 Posts
Yup. Pop out and pop in.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Don't you guys have any duct tape?..........

Reactions: Patric and Whiskey

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't you guys have any duct tape?..........
Duct tape will work. So will removing the fuel door. Actually just doing nothing will work. I just wanted to share with the forum that there is a latch that is available that is just like factory, without spending BMW dealership prices.

Spend nothing if you like. Use duct tape if you like. Do nothing if you like. This latch is the factory part, and is available for a lot less if you want to keep your bike original.

Dale

1 - 16 of 16 Posts