BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new to BMWs and this forum. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me on this problem. There is a lot of experience and wisdom on this forum which is really great for a newbee like me. Thanks.

Today as I finished filling my fuel tank on my recently purchased 03 K1200LT, I was putting the fuel cap back when I noticed an object fall from the fuel door and drop into my tank. I could not see it in the tank so I had no idea what it was. Everything looked normal on the cap and the key fob was still attatched to the key ring attached to the key in the cap.

After putting the cap back on I closed the fuel door, but it would not stay closed. When I investigated why I noticed the latch for the door was missing, not the piece that is part on the door itself but the part on the tupperware that the door clicks into. So here are my questions:

1) Anyone have this happen to them before?
2) If so, how did you retrieve the item from the tank?
3) Are there places to buy parts online like this or do I have to get it from the nearest BMW dealer?

One final question that is not related to my current "learning opportunity"...
I have noticed many of you have a map at the bottom of your page showing where you have traveled. One is from mytriplogs.com, but how do you create the other version?

Thanks again for any advice anyone can offer.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hello Mark,
$15 Dealer part , without it mine flapped at hwy speed , when you change the fuel filter you might be able to find the lost latch , until don't worry about it being in there .

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hi Mark, and welcome!

I'm sure you will love your bike and this forum which is invaluable, especially if you are comfortable with tackling any of the mechanical items.

With regards to your fuel door latch, it has not happened to me but I have seen these pieces fall into crevices that makes it interesting to retrieve.

The fuel door may fly open at speeds if it is not secured, no big deal but it can be a nuisance.

In so far as the plastic latch in the tank, you will have to remove the tank and the fuel pump that sits inside. If you can live with this until you have to replace your fuel filter, all the better as I do not believe the latch will do any harm in the tank,

You should get yourself a Clymers manual which most of us have, but I'm sure you will find others living close to you that can also help.

Sorry, I do not know how to post the map in your signature but I'm sure others will chime in on this and provide even more advice on your immediate issue with the door latch.

All the best...
Mugz

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,182 Posts
Ride2Learn said:
One final question that is not related to my current "learning opportunity"...
I have noticed many of you have a map at the bottom of your page showing where you have traveled. One is from mytriplogs.com, but how do you create the other version?
Clicky-Click! :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
check with maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche

This a good place to check prices and for all parts needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This thread is 5 years old but still pertinent.

My fuel door latch just exploded last week...
I found the manufacturer part number to be 'Southco 10-201-10'
Great Lakes Skippers sell it as 'TrackerMarine 171165 Boat Door Latch' (greatlakesskipper.com)

Fit like a charm for less than $3

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
This thread is 5 years old but still pertinent.

My fuel door latch just exploded last week...
I found the manufacturer part number to be 'Southco 10-201-10'
Great Lakes Skippers sell it as 'TrackerMarine 171165 Boat Door Latch' (greatlakesskipper.com)

Fit like a charm for less than $3
Welcome to the forum Yves. I bought my LT and it was missing that latch. Went the dealer route as it was before I found this forum and its wealth of knowledge.

Reactions: Yves Lessard

·
Registered
207 Posts
I completely removed my latch because i just didn't like the way the fuel door closed. I wasn't level with the rest of the fairing.. My OCD just wouldn't accept it.
The fix? (And only cost about 5 bucks) Well I don't use the key for the fuel cap therefore i screwed a strong magnet (round one from Harbor freight) on top of the cap.. Then glued a piece of metal the the plastic door, and voila. The door closes and stays closed an any speed, and is very flush with the rest of the fairing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
What about a 24 inch Magic Fingers . They can be found longer too. When your tank is near empty see if you can see it in the bottom. Then reach in and grab it. Siphon the fuel out as much as you can.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
What about a 24 inch Magic Fingers . They can be found longer too. When your tank is near empty see if you can see it in the bottom. Then reach in and grab it. Siphon the fuel out as much as you can.
It might be easier to simply pull off the right side Tupperware and remove the fuel sending unit. Then you can see very well into the right side of the tank and with some type of grabber, retrieve the fallen latch. The opening of the fuel tank leaves little room to look inside and also use a retrieval tool.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I completely removed my latch because i just didn't like the way the fuel door closed. I wasn't level with the rest of the fairing.. My OCD just wouldn't accept it.
The fix? (And only cost about 5 bucks) Well I don't use the key for the fuel cap therefore i screwed a strong magnet (round one from Harbor freight) on top of the cap.. Then glued a piece of metal the the plastic door, and voila. The door closes and stays closed an any speed, and is very flush with the rest of the fairing.
I like that idea. Mine is secured with velcro, so I can still use the key, but that's pretty clever.

Side note: dropped my key when attempting to start the bike one day. Required a tear down I wasn't previously thinking about doing to retrieve it. On the plus side, got my radio back operating, and verified my air filter is in good shape!😎

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.