BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a new member of this community, I have been reading, with envy, all of you that are getting 50 mpg (or close to it) with your LT's. I've put about 2000 miles on my '01 since I picked it up, and, according to the BC, the best I've gotten is around 42 mpg. It has been as poor as 35. I don't drive hard, still getting used the big girl. What an I doing wrong or what can I do to improve it? I have changed plugs, oil (3X), new tire on the rear, pumped them up, just about everything I can think of. I am going to have the 60K service done just prior to the rally. HELP!

·
Registered
475 Posts
A lot of things can effect fuel usage, your weight, the windshield being up, driving conditions like stop & go. 42 is not that bad. She's also got 60k and she's 8 years old.

nonetheless has the airfilter been changed? fuel filter? that could have an effect.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
42 is about what I get with my '03.

Ran across South Dakota a little on the fast side, most of the time it was over 100, and I got arond 28 mpg.

Scenery went by in a hurry.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Just completed my 24K on my 2003. All fuels, air filter, fuel filter, adjusted valves (3 buckets), tranny, FD fluid change, plugs. Was averaging 39 mpg before - averaging 39 mpg now. Must be my 1/8 th ton plus pay load.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Take a trip, get the actual gas mileage. If you have GPS, use the GPS mileage for the computation; the odometer/speedometer have accuracy issues so use the trip meter mileage if you don't have GPS. Fill-up with the bike on the sidestand to get more fuel in the tank.

Use this link click here to reset your BC. I normally get 48-52 mpg (city commute - highway); the Remus exhaust/RhineWest chip affects are still under analysis.

Some have mentioned the oxygen sensor as causing poor mileage; you might consider changing it out. Do a search to find the part number for a sensor costing less than your first-born male child or limbs at the dealership; HOW has instructions on how to change it out.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
I just looked back on 2 years of receipts and they look like mostly in the high 40's and at least one that was 40. I do ride variably. Sometimes really on her and some times not.
I always use a name brand premium (Mobile, Shell, BP).

Let's ride sometime.

Jer

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jers99lt said:
I just looked back on 2 years of receipts and they look like mostly in the high 40's and at least one that was 40. I do ride variably. Sometimes really on her and some times not.
I always use a name brand premium (Mobile, Shell, BP).

Let's ride sometime.

Jer
I'd love to ride sometime. Find some good places around here. I also use only BP. I got fuel at a Shell one time and my mileage dropped to 34. Filled her up at a BP and immediately went back up to 41. Won't do that again. Send me a PM and let me know where you're at. Figure out when we can go somewhere.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A couple of years ago the dealer changed the fuel mapping on my LT because it had a hesitation when i would try to accelerate. I was told that I would have use premium fuel only from then on. Just the other day I accidentally put regular gas in the tank and my mileage went from 38-39 mpg at 70 on the expressway to 45-46 mpg. Not sure why but I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JDW said:
A couple of years ago the dealer changed the fuel mapping on my LT because it had a hesitation when i would try to accelerate. I was told that I would have use premium fuel only from then on. Just the other day I accidentally put regular gas in the tank and my mileage went from 38-39 mpg at 70 on the expressway to 45-46 mpg. Not sure why but I'm not complaining.
It's interesting that you said this. I said in my last post that I got really poor mileage when I put Shell gas in it. I always use premium, and the Shell station had 93 octane (about as high as I have seen). I went to Iowa for on a trip and all they had was 91, but the pump didn't work. So I had to put 89 in it. I was a bit worried about that, but my mileage was as good as I have seen. My wife thought we must have been going downhill coming home :histerica .

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've noticed some stations advertise "no ethynol"; Citgo and Conoco are two that come to mind. I won't buy Citgo but may try Conoco just to see what happens.

What is the difference in BTU content with/without ethynol? Anyone know? Anyone care?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Actually, I do. Ethanol has 80% of the BTU content of gasoline. So if a fuel has 10% ethenal, you lose about 2% on the whole. Probably about 1 mpg in the range we are discussing. Now, if I only knew how to spell it :D

+1 on Citgo. I won't go near 'em.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Rode from Tennessee to north east Ohio today with the wife and all bags full, including the top bag on the luggage rack. Ran some two lane stuff in southern KY and then back on I-71 for the rest of the trip. Went 300 miles and took 5.9 gallons which resulted in 50.8 mpg. Not too bad at all. I drive with the cruise control to the maximum extent possible and keep the windshield as low as comfortable, but not all the way down. For what it's worth, the BC told me I was only getting 45 mpg. It has always been 3-5 miles per gallon pessimistic.

I have found that cold weather, from the 40s down to the mid 20s really sucks the fuel as well as strong headwind. I have gotten 35 in west Texas in a cold wind and also 34 across Iowa in a 40 mph headwind/crosswind.

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
seahorst said:
Being a new member of this community, I have been reading, with envy, all of you that are getting 50 mpg (or close to it) with your LT's. I've put about 2000 miles on my '01 since I picked it up, and, according to the BC, the best I've gotten is around 42 mpg. It has been as poor as 35. I don't drive hard, still getting used the big girl. What an I doing wrong or what can I do to improve it? I have changed plugs, oil (3X), new tire on the rear, pumped them up, just about everything I can think of. I am going to have the 60K service done just prior to the rally. HELP!
Have you checked your mileage on several consecutive tanks to confirm that the BC readings are correct? It could be that the BC is not calibrated properly. I would first confirm that the data is correct before looking at solutions.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I should mention that Emil doesn't drink too much as long as we're only pushing him around 60 mph. He will run as fast as you can stand to hang on, but after you make him go over 70 and close in on 80 he must get nervous because he starts drinking more.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've notice in colder weather, 40 and below, that my gas mileage was about the same...40 and below. When it warmed up this spring and the windshield came down an inch or so, the mileage started to climb. On a nice cruising backroad where I can hold 55 to 60 mph without starting and stopping the bike will register 50+ mpg. On the highway at speeds ranging from 70 to 80 mph, the bike drinks more but I can still get mid 40's or better in the summer.

One thing that I did notice....I had a sticky throttle cable a few months ago. It was very difficult to smoothly apply the gas and the bike was slow to release the throttle. Once I fixed the throttle cable issue my gas mileage jumped up about 3-5 mpg instantly. I cut my brown wire last week and the bike runs much smoother, however, it looks like I may be losing 2-3 mpg, but I can't say for certain if that was the cause.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have 2000 LT. No changes made, just normal service by myself.

My average MPG is between 48 and 53 in normal driving.

I just made a MPG test 2 days ago.
I was driving 550 miles in that day. Some 170 miles speed was between 80 and 105 mph nice curvy roads. Rest was more or less simple highway, speed was between 70 and 75 mph. Fuel consumption during that trip was 48 MPG.

Speed was according to its own speedo (not gps).

Regards
Leiboshi

·
Registered
207 Posts
How many miles does the computer tell you can go when you fill it to the top.... yr 2000.
Yesterday when I filled it said 335, and that is at a Shell station that does not add gasahol and 91 premium. Almost all other stations in the area add gasahol and it cuts my mileage 5 to 10+%.
little_jake

·
Registered
368 Posts
I can go up to 47mpg if I ride only on the motor way (also in winter with shield fully up, lateral deflectors out, etc...), provided that I don't go faster than the 80 Mph limit.

Since it happens rarely and because I also have some short city bits to ride on, I usually range in the 40mpg with my '06 LT (always in "winter mode", no experience yet of the summer mode).

The BC is usually reporting the mileage well, it's normally optimistic by 5-8% but not more.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Rode 100 miles today into a strong, steady head wind and got 44 mpg. Down from the usual upper 40's.

Jer ( close to Rt.59 and Mack Rd. )

·
Registered
66 Posts
hmmm, I went on a 163 mile ride here this morning with the GF..

BC said I was making about 45.3 MPG

old school based upon the gty used to refill, it was 56.7 MPG. :thumb:

someone 'splain that!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts