BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's the secret to getting that last bolt to line up with the seat assembly and the fuel cell? :mad:

I'm prying and moving and holding and removing all the other bolts and I _KNOW_ it works...it came apart, didn't it?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I had to do the side with two bolts first, just start the bolts with enough threads to hold them in, then go to the other side and do the same. Can't remember, but I may have also had to leave the top bolts out until the end.
Rocketsled said:
So what's the secret to getting that last bolt to line up with the seat assembly and the fuel cell? :mad:

I'm prying and moving and holding and removing all the other bolts and I _KNOW_ it works...it came apart, didn't it?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Four things from my experience:

1. verify that the tank is in the right position front to back, on my bike there is a little bit of wiggle room back and forth which works fine on the tank bolts but the seat bolts are not as forgiving.

2. +1 on starting the bolts with just a couple turns and then going back once all are in and finishing them off.

3. Make sure that all the rubber vibration thingies are in the right place and that one did not get squished in between the tank and frame when you installed the tank.

4. I had to give my tank an ever so slight lift when I was putting in the seat bolts, try that as part of the wiggling.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I remeber that being a PITA other times it just went in. I think one time I lifted the fuel take just slightly on the one side to get the holes to line up.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Had the same problem, but as has been mentioned just make sure the tank is all the way seated, tilt it up just a bit when sliding it forward, fasten the three mounting bolts that will ensure the tank is in its proper seated position.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've heard of people using a water based grease on the rubber grommets in the fuel tank, making it easier to seat all the way in. i'll be doing this again shortly myself so I'll get to try it out, coz I remember last time I was sweating that I would cross-thread something......

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking I may have to warp something to fit as even the two holes on that side don't come close to matching up with the frame and fuel cell holes.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Its a bugger to be sure but there is nothing to warp nothing to move out of place its a fixed mount point, if it came off it will go back on sometimes the use of a screw driver to get the first bolt lined up may be needed. other then that if a small hammer doesn't work get a larger one.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn't sure if maybe the remaining fuel in the tank made it expand...or perhaps gremlins.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Might want to check and see if there isn't something blocking the tank from sliding all the in, had that happen before.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
copperstatetour said:
Four things from my experience:

1. verify that the tank is in the right position front to back, on my bike there is a little bit of wiggle room back and forth which works fine on the tank bolts but the seat bolts are not as forgiving.

2. +1 on starting the bolts with just a couple turns and then going back once all are in and finishing them off.

3. Make sure that all the rubber vibration thingies are in the right place and that one did not get squished in between the tank and frame when you installed the tank.

4. I had to give my tank an ever so slight lift when I was putting in the seat bolts, try that as part of the wiggling.

I hope this helps!
The above usually works. Did you leave to tank sitting in the sun while it was out? That can warp it for sure.

·
Registered
498 Posts
It's all about how you hold your tongue.....and talking dirty to it.....

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Rocketsled said:

Fuel cell? When did they start using fuel cells? My 07 has a plain old fuel tank on it.

Mine went back on fairly easily. I simply put the bolts in loosely at first and was able to push on the tank and "distort" it enough to get the last bolt in. Try a different bolt order as they sometimes helps also.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I figured fuel tank = big metal shape hammered out on a tree stump and a fuel cell= extruded plastic mould designed to fill up as much oddly shaped space as possible.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Rocketsled said:
I figured fuel tank = big metal shape hammered out on a tree stump and a fuel cell= extruded plastic mould designed to fill up as much oddly shaped space as possible.
Nope, just an oddly shaped fuel tank. You dashed my hopes as I was hoping BMW had issued a hydrogen powered LT!! That would be cool! Albeit, hard to find fueling stations...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Voyager said:
Nope, just an oddly shaped fuel tank. You dashed my hopes as I was hoping BMW had issued a hydrogen powered LT!! That would be cool! Albeit, hard to find fueling stations...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell
They make 'conventional' fuel cells, too: http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Fuel-Cells/

I pulled the tank, and sprayed silicone lube on the mount points, it went in better...I also found that

a) my prying points were moving both the tank and the seat, but the seat is already aligned with the holes.

b) I think the one bolt's rubber isolator needs to be squished to make everything to work. I can shove a pair of needle nosed pliers in there and get everything to work...if only the bolt had a taper!

c)looking at the tool marks (thanks CSI!) on the tank, I'm not the first person to encounter this particular fitment issue. :histerica

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Rocketsled said:
Yes, but racing fuel cells are foam filled to help prevent spillage in a crash. I don't think the LT qualifies as a fuel cell by that definition either.

Any luck getting the last bolt in? I suspect these plastic tanks distort with age and build up stress. You relieve the stress when you remove the tank and then it is a bigger challenge to get it back together as you are finding.

I don't know if you have a way to place the tank in the sun or somewhere it can warm up, but that might make it easier to stuff back into position.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have no idea why the pic's not showing. If you click it it shows up. :/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts