BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my last service the little rubber post that is used to hold the fuel cap while refueling is missing. Is this a part that can be easily replaced? I didn't know how much I liked that little feature until I didn't have it anymore. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
This is a typical issue if the stingray is not reinstalled carefully. It is still there, it's just bent under the stingray. See if you can see it and try to pull it out with your fingers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,986 Posts
Same here...

The same thing happened to mine and though I couldn't get it with my fingers I use a "dentist pick" to get it out. Again, like Joe said, it's probably just tucked up under the stingray now.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,886 Posts
You mean there's something to hold the gas cap while fueling???

Hmmm, off to search for it. . .
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,800 Posts
<rant on>
Every time I get my LT back from the dealer (after a service) they screw this up. Either it's completely hidden or it's half-in, half-out. I always have to fix it. For the bucks they charge it should be perfect. I wonder if they even know it's there...
<rant off>

Deputy5211: Yes, it's a black rubber protusion (?) just forward of the gas cap, under the gas cap "lid". It has a small round opening in it; stick the bottom end of the gas cap in this while you are refueling and you won't leave the gas cap behind. If you don't see it, it's tucked beneath the plastic body panel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,424 Posts
Keith, We'll get it unstuck tomorrow at lunch. See you then.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,886 Posts
hschisler said:
Deputy5211: Yes, it's a black rubber protusion (?) just forward of the gas cap, under the gas cap "lid". It has a small round opening in it; stick the bottom end of the gas cap in this while you are refueling and you won't leave the gas cap behind. If you don't see it, it's tucked beneath the plastic body panel.
Thank you. I'll look for it. Plastic should be coming off soon for some other stuff. . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,424 Posts
Let's see if I can help Howard out with a couple of pictures. First with the gas cap in the riding position and the second with the cap in the fueling position.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,424 Posts
hschisler said:
<rant on>
Every time I get my LT back from the dealer (after a service) they screw this up. Either it's completely hidden or it's half-in, half-out. I always have to fix it. For the bucks they charge it should be perfect. I wonder if they even know it's there...
<rant off>
Now you understand why most of us do our own simple service. It only takes once or twice doing it to yourself, that you generally don't make that mistake anymore. DAMHIK :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
So that's what that's for. I thought it was where you put your cigarette while refueling.:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Steve_R said:
Let's see if I can help Howard out with a couple of pictures. First with the gas cap in the riding position and the second with the cap in the fueling position.
Mine never sticks up as straight as that. Every time I pull the stingray, I try to fit it back on better, and the thing never lines up... and it's not too easy to shift the fuel tank around either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,208 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,800 Posts
Steve_R said:
Let's see if I can help Howard out with a couple of pictures. First with the gas cap in the riding position and the second with the cap in the fueling position.
Perfect. Those photos show exactly what I was trying to describe. Thanks for the assist. :)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top