BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand New, never used!

Russell Day Long Heated Driver seat for K1200LT.
Haven't used it... decided to sell the bike, so removing the seat to recoup.

No wait time here! and save over purchasing direct from RDL!

$525 shipped.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Please send a pic and will it fit a 2005? I am very interested.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please send a pic and will it fit a 2005? I am very interested.
There is a pic in the original posting of the seat on the bike... Would you like a different pic?
Yes, it'll fit a 2005.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just uploaded a vid walkaround which shows the seat also:

There is a pic in the original posting of the seat on the bike... Would you like a different pic?
Yes, it'll fit a 2005.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nevermind. It wasn't showing up at first. I see it now. I'll talk to the wife and be in touch if I'm going to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I thought there was some change to either the seat pan or the tupperware that required something to be cut for early seats to fit later ones but I couldn't find it in doing some searches but still thought it worth mentioning. Maybe someone else can remember and post the specifics or let me know that winter has eroded my brain.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought there was some change to either the seat pan or the tupperware that required something to be cut for early seats to fit later ones but I couldn't find it in doing some searches but still thought it worth mentioning. Maybe someone else can remember and post the specifics or let me know that winter has eroded my brain.

This post says it was post 2005 bikes, so I'm presuming it'll fit an 05.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/59020-seat-fitment.html

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finding more posts that '05 was when the seat pans changed... I'd play it safe and say this will fit 99 - 04

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
This post says it was post 2005 bikes, so I'm presuming it'll fit an 05.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/59020-seat-fitment.html
Post #6 from your link says the seat pan was narrowed on '05's and up from the earlier versions, and the one you are selling is apparently off of your 2000 LT, so a little modification of the pan would be necessary to fit the later model bikes. RDLs are great seats - I had one on my '07 LT, and currently have one on my '16 GTLE. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
Post #6 from your link says the seat pan was narrowed on '05's and up from the earlier versions, and the one you are selling is apparently off of your 2000 LT, so a little modification of the pan would be necessary to fit the later model bikes. RDLs are great seats - I had one on my '07 LT, and currently have one on my '16 GTLE. :bmw:
Is the Russell a generic seat? I thought they were custom made to fit an individual? Maybe I am thinking of other brands that require you to send in pictures, and physical attributes like weight, inseam, etc.

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Is the Russell a generic seat? I thought they were custom made to fit an individual? Maybe I am thinking of other brands that require you to send in pictures, and physical attributes like weight, inseam, etc.
I believe you are correct in Russel being a custom per individual. I believe Mayer seats are the same but I bought one anyways and do find it better for me than the OEM. Could have been just the opposite though and been worse depending on who it was fitted for.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This was made on the 2000 seat pan.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
It will work on a later bike with no mods. It will be slightly wider at the nose than if you had it built on a later seat pan. I looked at the photos I sent for my build and I couldn't tell much from them but then I am not the builder.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I believe you are correct in Russel being a custom per individual. I believe Mayer seats are the same but I bought one anyways and do find it better for me than the OEM. Could have been just the opposite though and been worse depending on who it was fitted for.
I spent some time on the Russell Day Long website. They ask weight, height, inseam, and waist. The ordering process is fairly complex, but I assume you get exactly what you want. Some parts of me want to get "RUSSELL" embroidered on the seat (that is actually my last name), but if I ever sell it, the new owner might not appreciate that. :)

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
The Russell's are custom made to the rider's physical attributes, using your stock seat pan. I ordered the LT seat by phone/internet and the GTLE seat was a ride-in build at their Shasta Lake location. In that instance, they had a spare GTL seat to loan me so I could ride around the area while they were doing their magic. I think the GTLE seat came out better than the LT, but maybe because my butt longed for another RDL after taking a few tortuous overnight trips on the stocker. The LT seat and back rests were done in leather uppers/vinyl sides, while the GTLE is all leather (I left the armrests and pillion backrests stock). Here's picture of both. When I sold my LT, I kept the RDL backrest and rain cover and had the backrest recovered in black for use on the GTLE. :bmw:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts