1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how many of you have been following the thread about the
BMW Luggage Roll 2, but I thought I would start a new thread noting my recent
disappointments with several dealerships and unfortunately BMW Motorrad USA
on this issue. Never thought I'd say that last part.

It's been a couple of weeks now since OregonRider started the thread on the bag.
It sparked my interest and did a search on it. Figured, nice bag - I'll get one.
Someone had mention Countryside BMW had a good price. I checked their site and
sure enough, great price. I went back the next day to purchase it and the price had chaged
drastically. So I figured my loss, must have been a good sale.
I go back to the thread.

Someone posts that BMW of San Francisco has it for a great price. I go immediately and
buy it through PayPal. This time I'm in luck. I get an email confirmation from PayPal
saying it has gone through and I get an email from BMW San Fran saying yes, this is the
price and here is your confirmation number. Next day I come home to an email from
San Fran saying that there has been "a pricing error" and that BMW Motarrad is to
blame. So, I pick up the phone to talk to BMW Motorrad about it. They've been
great in the past and I figured they can help.

I talk to the Customer Service rep for about a half an hour. End of the conversation is
that they will file a complaint about the dealership on my behalf but cannot help
me get that bag at the promised, in writing, price. I say that this is surprising and
unacceptable and ask to speak with a manager. She calls the next day and I
get the same song and dance. Majorly disappointed with BMW here.

Not the end of this long winded story - sorry to say.
I go back to the thread seeing that there is a new post.
Someone has found it at Kissell Motorsports for an even better price.
I know, I don't learn, but I bite trying get some satisfaction from this.
I placed my order last Thursday with them. I got the same Paypal confirmation
and confirmation from Kissell. Today I come home to the same email
about "pricing error".

So I pick up the phone again. The BMW Motorrad rep was very polite and tried to help
but there are procedures, great rings to jump through and I have requested another
conversation with a manager.

Now, before someone out there blasts me for wanting something for nothing
please know that all I want is someone to "honor" one of the prices that the
dealerships had promised - in writing. Whether it's the dealerships or BMW Motorrad.
In my opinion it seems dishonest and possibly illegal and I know that there are
several others on this forum that have had the same issue regarding this.

BMW raises the price on the dealers - not my concern. Don't say your gonna sell me something,
then turn around and try to to sell me the same at a greatly increased price.

Bait and switch.

Am I expecting too much from all parties?
Is there someone else at BMW Motorrad to talk to?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yep. I agree. I tried to buy two different ones. Same story. Only thing to add, the reason BMW is not helpful is that they are the real culprits. Those shopping sites that you click into at, say, the SF BMW or Kissel Sports are really just frames running the BMW sites. Sure the local dealer has a say in the price and gets their cut. But the order goes to BMW I believe.

If you look closely at the email addresses when they write and say, "There was a pricing error." They come from [email protected] and not from the local dealer.

I think the only solution is to vote with the old credit card or paypal account and buy the Wunderlich bag or some of the others that people touted in the thread.

The lesson is don't buy online from BMW, do it at your local dealer where you're more likely to get a discount and can actually hold the thing in your hands and say, "So, here and now, this bag for $175? Or is it a pricing error?"

Rick

·
Registered
421 Posts
Out of curiosity, what was the great price they advertised and what is the suggested retail price? Was it an obvious pricing error or was it just a few bucks cheaper?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've been following this thread here and a couple of other places. Seem frustrating. There's probably a hundred reasons why one should buy a BMW bag...but I decided not to pay the price for the bag, when there are so many other good bags out there. Maybe it doesn't say BMW on it, but I picked up a zinc gray medium North Face Base Camp duffel...

http://www.zappos.com/the-north-face-base-camp-duffel-medium-tnf-black

..and could not be happier. It's 24x15x15 (72 Liters) and fits perfectly across a BMR 24" shelf. Cost was $125.00 and it was here within a few days.

Maybe the BMW is a magical bag, that justifies the $260.00 cost. But you can buy two North Face bags for that money.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BMWs 2011/2012 catalog had this listed at $150.

Countryside about 2 weeks ago $175.
BMW of San Fran last Wednesday $175.
Kissell last Thursday $150.

Current price for most dealers $259.95.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Are we talking about one bag and two prices, or is it two different bags (with the same name)? Has there been a change in BMW part numbers?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Seems to me like everything has gone up since the new year. I had priced out some powerlet products to do some modifications to beat the Can-Bus and by the time I ordered things had gone up about 10%. There was a thread on here about crash bars and guys said the Z-tek bars were 450 bucks. I bought mine last fall for 290 bucks including shipping. I don't know how a product can go up so much in such a short period of time other than gasoline but I do understand the frustration. On that note go buy a good waterproof bag at REI or Cabellas for half the money and let BMW keep their inflated overpriced quality crap.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same, 1 bag (72607718511) - different prices all the way around in just 3 - 4 months
from what I see. From BMW to dealerships.

·
Registered
82 Posts
MattWhite said:
BMWs 2011/2012 catalog had this listed at $150.

Countryside about 2 weeks ago $175.
BMW of San Fran last Wednesday $175.
Kissell last Thursday $150.

Current price for most dealers $259.95.

I actually did receive my BMW bag from Countryside today via FedEx, and they only charged me the $179.95 price plus a small shipping charge. Right after I ordered it they did change their price to $259.95 and I half expected them to contact me with a "pricing error" e-mail. That never happened though. Sorry this lower price wasn't offered to everyone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is the correct way to handle it. You have the bag listed at $175 because for whatever reason you haven't changed the pricing at your site. After all that WAS the old price. It's not a mistake or a listing error.

A customer comes along. Buys it. Gets an email receipt saying, "Thank you for your purchase blah blah. $175 or whatever."

The honorable thing to do is say, "Whoah. That price has gone up." Then send the customer the bag he bought, and THEN raise your price.

But to essentially sell the thing, and then say, "Oh, sorry, that is no longer the price. We changed it."

Again, a simple look at E-bay for comparison. Do you suppose you'd have a leg to stand on if you listed something for $175 and then took payment via PayPal or a credit card, and THEN said, "Oh, by the way. I've raised the price. I'm not selling it to you for $175, would you like to pay $259?"

Oh, well. Enough ranting. I'm buying the Wunderlich.

Rick

·
Registered
62 Posts
Those who received the $170 version should check its part number to make sure it is indeed the new version (Roll 2). The part number of the earlier version is 72607653818, and there may be some remaining in dealer inventory. The two versions look very similar in the catalog photos and the -818 was priced around $150-$180.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sailorlite said:
Those who received the $170 version should check its part number to make sure it is indeed the new version (Roll 2). The part number of the earlier version is 72607653818, and there may be some remaining in dealer inventory. The two versions look very similar in the catalog photos and the -818 was priced around $150-$180.
Here's the email confirmation I got from Kissell:

Thank you for recently shopping at KISSELL MOTORSPORTS INC. Your order placed at http://www.kissellmotorsports.com/ on 03/23/2012 at 7:44 AM has been received.

Order Number: 2576095

Order Total: $162.95

Payment Method: PayPal

Number: [email protected]

Order:
Qty. Part Number Product Name Price Line Total
1 72607718511 LUGGAGE ROLL 2 $150.00 $150.00

If you have any questions regarding your order, please contact KISSELL MOTORSPORTS INC at 814-861-7890 or visit http://www.kissellmotorsports.com/contactus.htm. Please reference your order number.

and BMW of San Fran:

Thank you for recently shopping at BMW MOTORCYCLES OF SAN FRANCISCO. Your order placed at http://www.bmwmotorcycle.com/ on 03/21/2012 at 6:24 PM has been received.

Order Number: 2573516

Order Total: $179.95

Payment Method: PayPal

Order:
Qty. Part Number Product Name Price Line Total
1 72 60 7 718 511 LUGGAGE ROLL 2 $170.00 $170.00

If you have any questions regarding your order, please contact BMW MOTORCYCLES OF SAN FRANCISCO at (415) 503-9988 or visit http://www.bmwmotorcycle.com/contactus.htm. Please reference your order number.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sailorlite said:

Good idea. I just pulled my invoice that I received with the bag yesterday, and the item number (and price I paid) were as follows:

Item Number: 72-60-7-718-511
Price Charged: $175.95 + $8.79 shipping

This was through BMW of Countryside in Illinois. From what I can tell, they raised their price after my order, but at least they didn't stick it to me like some of the other dealers did to some of you after the order was placed.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I sure am glad I have a dry bag I use for scuba diving trips... no need for all this frustration, and my bag is actually waterproof to boot . It didn't cost anywhere near these prices :D !

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a waterproof bag from Sierra Trading Post. Probably paid about $40 for it years ago. It will float or did when I capsized a canoe. Works for me on the LT.

Bruce :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine arrived from Countryside last Friday. $175.95 and it is the same part number. Maybe they had 2 in stock but when they went to order more, they found that the MSRP had increased? Great bag, by the way ,but probably would not have spent $259.

·
Registered
955 Posts
MattWhite said:
BMW raises the price on the dealers - not my concern. Don't say your gonna sell me something,
then turn around and try to to sell me the same at a greatly increased price.

Bait and switch.

Am I expecting too much from all parties?
Is there someone else at BMW Motorrad to talk to?
This is in fact bait and switch. In Ohio, this sort of business practice is referred to and dealt with by the state Attorney General's office of consumer affairs..

1 - 20 of 46 Posts