BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK turns out I already have a Cobra FRS/GMRS. Spoke with Autocom and I need cable #111. Now, where do you guys mount the FRS and where to run the wiring back to the autocom which is under passenger seat. I was thinking about just keeping it in the tank bag but do I just run the cable up from under the front of the front seat. Or ram mount on right side over the brake reservoir. I assume there is some kinda gadget mount for a FRS. Then there is the routing of the PTT.
What do you guys do?

Thanks all

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have a Kenwood radio that I purchased from another list member. So far I have kept it under the driver's seat on the couple of occasions I used it. Waiting until I get around to installing the PTT switch.

The former owner routed the cable under the tupperware and mounted the radio horizontally with velcro on the black plastic surface on the left side (under the left grip).

I have a BMR shelf with nothing on the right side and am considering mounting it on a right side accessory arm. I think it could go horizontally or vertically in that location assuming the cable will reach that far.

If I did not have the shelf already I'd probably use the left side mount. Lots of folks like the RAM mounts, but my personal preference is to keep the handlebars clear.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I keep mine in the glove box since mine is plugged into the Voice II. It (Kenwood FRS) works like your talking on a very good quality phone.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I put my Kenwood Freetalk XL in the side pocket of the Chicane tank bag. The antenna sticks out the top, but you really don't notice it. The wire runs into the oddments box.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oddments box

Do you have any trouble closing the oddments box with the wire. Or how do you enter the oddments box?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The wire doesn't cause a problem, it just compresses the gasket. The tank bag causes more of a problem, but that is manageable.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
mpillis said:
OK turns out I already have a Cobra FRS/GMRS. Spoke with Autocom and I need cable #111. Now, where do you guys mount the FRS and where to run the wiring back to the autocom which is under passenger seat. I was thinking about just keeping it in the tank bag but do I just run the cable up from under the front of the front seat. Or ram mount on right side over the brake reservoir. I assume there is some kinda gadget mount for a FRS. Then there is the routing of the PTT.
What do you guys do?

Thanks all
I routed the FRS cable from the front of the VOICE II panel out the back of the radio housing, where it meets a pair of female sockets. The sockets are the end of wires which are routed up the right handlebar cover to a RAM mount on which I place my Kenwood FRS.

Pic 7 here shows the cable routing in the radio housing: http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=K1200LT&Number=245702&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=VOICE%20install%20pics&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=245702

Pic 4 here shows the end of the FRS cable where it emerges from the rear of the housing: http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=K1200LT&Number=277128&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=VOICE%20install%20pics&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=277128

1 - 7 of 7 Posts