BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to add FRS to Autocom Pro M1 for bike to bike communications. Which Kenwood should I go with and why? Or is there another brand which is better? I want it to be bike powered, don't want to deal with batteries.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
And your call sign is

Just wondering what you call sign is? You don't have a profile with any information in it and you do have to be legally licensed to run APRS?? :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh?

Don't know what APRS is and all I want to do is bike to bike communications. Lot's of people here use Kenwoods and Motorolas. What am I confused about?

·
Old Dawg
3,284 Posts
You should speak with Raffy here about the ICOM units, they are very nice or if you want the Kenwood I have and like the TK-3131. It has a display, is easy to use and has all the digital upper channels.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Ooops!

Sheesh, sorry about that. :eek: Sometimes I'm a little dyslexic and I read FRS as APRS. I'll go back into hiding now.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Np

No Problem, appreciate all the info and help. I am now 50 years old and have to shuffle things around upstairs just so I can remember simple things like "left foot , right foot, left foot , right foot".

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Ain't it the truth

mpillis said:
I am now 50 years old and have to shuffle things around upstairs just so I can remember simple things like "left foot , right foot, left foot , right foot".
Ain't that the truth!! :eek:

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
mpillis said:
Looking to add FRS to Autocom Pro M1 for bike to bike communications. Which Kenwood should I go with and why? Or is there another brand which is better? I want it to be bike powered, don't want to deal with batteries.
I'd suggest getting one of the Kenwoods that is both FRS and GMRS, as they give you more range. I started with their big heavy model with no LCD display and huge antenna because it could be hardwired in, but later sold it and bought one with the LCD display because it was so much easier to use, even though it requires batteries (comes with a rechargeable battery that lasts 10 hrs and/or you can use AA batteries). Here's a newer model of what I got:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90098462&SearchEngine=Froogle&SearchTerm=90098462&Type=PE&Category=Elec&Gad=0&dcaid=17379

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I just used for the first time my Kenwood FRS on an 8 day trip and my buddy was using the Kenwood FRS/GMRS with a rechargable battery pack. The Kenwood FRS out preformed the bigger FRS/GMRS the whole time, longer battery life and it sounded better. The 3 AA batterys in mine lasted 3 days and were still good but I changed them anyway just so I didn't have to in the middle of ridding. I don't know why the FRS did better but it was really nice to be able to talk while traveling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts