BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Kenwood TK-3131 fit in the K1200LT tank storage compartment? If not (or it is not practical) how long is the BMW FRS connector (p/n 65 41 2 337 298)?

I really don't want to buy this radio unless I have to but after reviewing other threads here on this topic it appears the Voice II inputs are configured for the Kenwood radios, not Midland or Motorolas (of which I have a pair of each).

Thanks

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
I use the TK-3131 with the BC3 comm system. The unit will fit in the oddments box, but I would recommend against putting it there.

The cable is long enough that I put inter-lok velcro on the left side of the stinger where it is flat and the mate on the belt clip on the unit. I can change channels and adjust volume easily in that position. The unit is fairly waterproof and I've had it in many heavy storms with no ill effect.

·
Old Dawg
3,295 Posts
I put mine in my tank bag ;)

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
hdfan said:
I was thinking about stuffing it under the seat. Anybody have any needs to change channels often on the bike?
I suppose you could put it there.....:think:

Although I have found that adjusting the volume of the unit is handy, especially when one of those ICOM units is transmitting close by. Also we will frequently run a channel and sub-channel with our group. When you come across another m/c they may be on the right channel, but not using, or able to use, the sub-channel.

When getting off the bike for the night, it's easy to grab it from its spot on the stinger, or if it were in a tank bag, to take inside for recharging the battery.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BillyOmaha said:

Although I have found that adjusting the volume of the unit is handy, especially when one of those ICOM units is transmitting close by. Also we will frequently run a channel and sub-channel with our group. When you come across another m/c they may be on the right channel, but not using, or able to use, the sub-channel.

When getting off the bike for the night, it's easy to grab it from its spot on the stinger, or if it were in a tank bag, to take inside for recharging the battery.

I agree with Bill. I'd like to be able to grab the unit. Having the ability to turn it on or adjust the volume, I think is essential. With my previous bike, after leaving a gas stop, I sometimes would have to adjust the GMRS radio to coordinate it with my GPS. I put a visual mark on the volume control of the GMRS for a quick rough in of volume but it helped to be able to tweak it.

Again thanks to all of the comments to this thread.

·
Registered
287 Posts
BillyOmaha said:

I think (think is the optimal word here) I can adjust the vol through the 2820, however I do have a sub channel question. Does anyone know how or if I can get a subchannel on an Kenwood XL. I see the GMRS 15 stations but... Any help would be great.

Also how are you, if you are, attaching the autocom pin connector into the tank bag?

Thanks

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hdfan said:
Does anyone know how or if I can get a subchannel on an Kenwood XL. I see the GMRS 15 stations but... Any help would be great.

Thanks
Here's a link to a site that has the Kenwood manual for the TK-3131. Scroll down the page to the Kenwood section and you can download it.

http://www.pactronics.com/spec-page.html

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
hdfan said:
I was thinking about stuffing it under the seat. Anybody have any needs to change channels often on the bike?
Not to change subjects on the Kenwood, but when I went from the Midland to the Cobra cb, I had to put the Cobra in the left saddle bag due to its size. The dis-advantages are:
Have to reset the channel after it is powered down for over two hours, cannot adjust volume or channels while riding. Although I rarely use the cb, I am looking to mount it on the left handle bar.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Wire path

scottydawg said:
I put mine in my tank bag ;)
How do you get the wires out of the oddments box to the tank bag without crushing them (same question for cell phone)?

·
Old Dawg
3,295 Posts
Duane_in_Florida said:
How do you get the wires out of the oddments box to the tank bag without crushing them (same question for cell phone)?
Just leave the oddments box door open against the wires. I have done it for 4 years that way with my cell phone, mp3 and walkie-talkie wires and never had a problem. The only time I ever tuck everything in and close it fully is when it's raining.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts