BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suggestions would be apperciated.
I just put on a new set of Avons. The first ride today on them, I notice a wobble or I should say they just did not feel right.
If you let off the gas the front wobbles more and if you let the handles bars go free it would really shake;
I was planning on leaving for CA,Sunday to get my Russell seat but these tires or whatever the problem, it would not be a good idea.
Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
253 Posts
Here is my 2 cents:

1.The wheel wasn't balanced properly.

2.When the axle pinch bolts were tightened, they failed to compress the front suspension a few times prior to tightening.

3.You have a defective tire.

Could be one or all three. GL

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,787 Posts
That is a good list of causes. I had a new tire that was slightly out of round and had a wobble. The next new tire was true and no wobble.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok will do; check the rear first that is.
I thought the Avons would be an improvement :) I suspect I got that wrong.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just put a 55 (Storm) on my 2000 and no wobble. Definite improvement over the BT020.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
If you had them mounted at a dealer take off the tire and have them check the balance again. Make sure it's balanced with cap on the valve especially if you have pressure indicators on the valves or metal/speciality valve caps.. and spin the wheel slowly and watch the run of the tire and view it from all angles against a white background to make sure the tire is seated properly.. both front and back. Look for bubbles and pops anywhere on the tire.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
humplatch said:
Here is my 2 cents:

1.The wheel wasn't balanced properly.

2.When the axle pinch bolts were tightened, they failed to compress the front suspension a few times prior to tightening.

3.You have a defective tire.

Could be one or all three. GL
and a highly improbable number four but still important:

... if I remember correctly the front axle nut should be torqued to 30 nm.... a very low value. This is commonly WAY over torqued!! (since vee don't want zat puppy coming loose vee must tighten it like Arnold vould... :rolleyes: )

I doubt if this is the culprit in this situation - but it is something that needs to be checked carefully as most "consumer" torque wrenches - even high quality ones - do not read accurately at the bottom end of the scale. ;)

The more I am around all of these exotic squeeze castings the more I realize how important torque values are. :think: :thumb:

·
Registered
142 Posts
no more wobble

I had a wobble at around 40mph and got real bad if I just had one hand on the bars. I had 880's put on yesterday and got rid of the BT020's. Guess what, no more wobble.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts