BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: I have a front wheel shimmy. I changed tires. It is still there.
I took the damper off and replaced it. Noticed resistance in one direction and not the other. I found that the anchor nut that holds the lollypop end of the damper had failed.
Does anyone have a repair for the broken anchor nut??????
I suspect this is a problem that many riders have, as I see it as a POOR design. The anchor nut is a weak rivetnut , and the bolt is too long for the application.
I would appreciate any help.
Don

·
Registered
230 Posts
Can't help you on the dampener, but I can on the wheel shimmy. My experience on the shimmy, headshake is that it occurs mainly on deceleration 50-40 mph range and is somewhat noticeable at 5 mph. For me, it has always been a problem with the front tire. I have had it on old tires as well as brand new ones improperly forcibly mounted, stretching the bead, belts etc., bad tire from the factory, or a cupped front tire, (wear dure to braking and under inflation.) I have tried to eliminate it including replacing the rear tire, and various other techniques. The only fix is a good new front tire, properly installed and balanced. Learn to do it yourself. Since I have been installing and balancing my own, knock wood, I have not had a new tire w/ headshake. After heavy braking, over a period of 4-5k miles, it does come back due to cupping. Hope this helps. Keep the tires inflated to max pressure and mount and balance properly w/o overstretching the bead. Hands on bars during deceleration.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:( I machined a part to fix the damper mount. I took the bike out for a test ride, No shimmy on asphalt or non grooved concrete. The shimmy is there at all speeds on grooved concrete (it is so bad it makes me want to up chuck).
My fix for the damper worked great , the bike is more stable. I can live with the shimmy on the rain grooves, nearest rain grooves are 30 miles away and I can just take a different road.

·
Registered
230 Posts
A fix for that would probably be Radial Tires. They used to come on the LT, but Bridgestone stopped manufacturing them. I have always run these until I couldn't get them this time. I went w/ bias plied and do not like them. The only manufacturer that make the radial rated for the LT is Avon. Next set for me will be Avon radials, but I have a new set of bias plys to wear out first.

Avon Fitments For BMW
K 1200 LT (K2LT) (1999 - 2003)
Front Tyres
» Storm-ST
Size 120/70ZR17 (58W)
2.5 bar (36psi)

Rear tyres
» Storm-ST
Size 160/70R17 79V
2.9 bar (42psi)

·
Registered
66 Posts
dminor said:
:( I machined a part to fix the damper mount. I took the bike out for a test ride, No shimmy on asphalt or non grooved concrete. The shimmy is there at all speeds on grooved concrete (it is so bad it makes me want to up chuck).
My fix for the damper worked great , the bike is more stable. I can live with the shimmy on the rain grooves, nearest rain grooves are 30 miles away and I can just take a different road.

do tell (or start another thread)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks HOGNOT,
I did not notice that the BT 020's were bias. That is why I changed the tires. The old radial BT 020's would only last about 3400 miles, I'll try the Avon's next.

Don

·
Registered
11 Posts
dminor said:
My fix for the damper worked great , the bike is more stable. I can live with the shimmy on the rain grooves, nearest rain grooves are 30 miles away and I can just take a different road.[/QUO

Hello all,
I also am having allot of trouble with the shimmy thing. Scary!!!
I grew up on Suzuki's, had a Harley (just one), Honda 750 Custom, GS 1000 L Suzuki (FAST), and a Gold Wing. I've ridden bikes my whole life but have never been on a bike that does this.
BMW... I expected better!!!
I thought the engineering was supposed to be the best?
So now what??? Is it safe?
I would hate to let my brother's ride it when it starts doing the shimmy thing, let alone the embarrassment of a BMW having this problem.
I remember my dad's OLD 1981 Gold Wing having the problem, He was really mad at Honda, but Honda fixed it shortly after by changing the angle/canter?? of the front forks, at least that’s what they told my dad. It worked whatever they did.
My Brother owns a machine shop, so if there’s a fix, I can do it. Can anyone help me?
Sorry to come down so hard on BMW and all that are so proud of it, but I'm not very happy with BMW right at the moment.
I want to make a long ride from my place in Virginia to Minnesota, but don't know if I can trust it.
Thanks for any help you are willing to give,
Rvs

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been wondering what this "shimmy" talk was all about. I had never felt it with my '03 LT. But the other day I was thinking about it and took my hands off the handlebars while decelerating and there it was!! It stopped as soon as I put my hands back on - thank goodness, but it was pretty scary for a couple of seconds. I've never felt it a bit since then - but I don't take my hands off both grips at the same time either. Does BMW have anything to say about it? Or is it one of those "We neither confirm or deny" things? :D

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
This has been a great debate since I have been on the forum and long before.

Some swear a tire properly mounted and balanced will solve the issue.

Others say it is the rake change they made to make low speed handling better.

Others say tire type and composition.

My stock Metzlers did it, My Avon's did, my front Azziro a left over older Avon did it, and now my Avon 2 does it.

The wisdom is keep both hands on the bars. I rode no hands about 2 miles yesterday at 50 miles an hour and no issues strait and true.

I have a hyper pro stabilizer on with both of their shocks so not that.

I will on next tire change have my rims checked for true and then I am done worrying about it. I don't ride no hands that much and since it is a deceleration issue I never am no hands when I doing that, usually covering clutch and brakes.

Just one more thing to love/hate about the machine.

As far a BMW addressing it, there is this guy I know who has the slightly used bridge for sale....................

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,780 Posts
donsobeck said:
How do the others change the rake?

Others say it is the rake change they made to make low speed handling better.

.DON
The 05+ had a change in steering geometry. You can retro fit the parts but my vote is always tire causing this either out of round or out of balance. But then I have only been through 8 sets of rears and four sets of fronts. It has come and gone many times and left after a re-balance half way through the tire life.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Don: I also had a shimmy on my tire as well. To begin with, I just purchased a 2005 LT w/ 8500 miles two weeks ago. To my surprise, I was shocked when the bike began to shimmy around 45 after briefly taking my hands off the handlebars to see how the bike would track as compared to my Roadstar. whew....scary to say the least.

I knew I needed front and back tires so I purchased a set of 880 Metzlers (sp). After taking off the tires, I was shocked how badly cupped the front tires where after a more up close and personal inspection. Nonetheless, I had a local MC shop mount the tires for me and they also recommended that I add Dyanbeads (2ozs) to the tires. After mounting the tires I took the LT for a quick spin....wow, huge huge difference. Not only where the tires quieter and better handling than the old OEM tires, the shimmy was gone.

Hope this helps but all I can say is that after 140 miles today, the bike out handled my buddies Yamaha Roadstar and HD Deluxe. They both had a tough time on the twistees.

Wow...what a feeling today.

Glenn

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,780 Posts
Great Glen, now make sure you use 42 front and 48 rear or you will see that cupping again real soon. Nobody here uses the Factory specs for tire pressure.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It still seems that OTHERS and the factor have not solved the shimmy problem with rake adjustments, but once they do pushing a shopping cart around the store will be a pleasure.

DON

·
Registered
150 Posts
NEW in tyre section so my quick question is simple

Can i have W rated tyre from 120/70/B17 Metzeler ME880marathon on front?
in the rear i can find normal and recomeneded V rated but front no,,

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was down at the Victory dealership Saturday and ask him if his bikes had the shimmy problem and he acted shocked any bikes still had the problem. He did suggest the Dynabeads might fix the issue.
Another thing he suggested was to fill a new set of tires with Nitrogen. Said the tire pressure won't change with different temperatures. What do you all know about it?
By the way....He wouldn't let me take a bike out for a test ride. :confused: :bike:
Rvs

·
Registered
676 Posts
HTML:
Sorry to come down so hard on BMW and all that are so proud of it, but I'm not very happy with BMW right at the moment.
I want to make a long ride from my place in Virginia to Minnesota, but don't know if I can trust it.
Thanks for any help you are willing to give,
Guess what, My 2002 goldwing would scare the hell out of you with the shimmy, and it was generally a problem with them also. :cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Off the showroom floor, my 09 LT shimmies like a hooked tuna from 36mph to 52mph no matter if accecellerating, decellerating or cruising. I'm VERY disappointed in this- probably because I've spent many comfortable hands-off milies on my 07 GS ADV and have gotten spoiled. Anyway, I expected BMW to have eliminated such a common problem by the time they built the 09. I'll try every suggested fix previously posted in order to eliminate it. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Kaw ZX12R Ninja
05 GS ADV
07 GS ADV- Iron Butt, Copper Canyon
09 LT

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,780 Posts
Everyone can beat this to death but it is always caused by: Tires, Tires, Tires. I have had it come and had it go and the ONLY thing that has ever been changed is the tires in the last 53K miles. Out of balance, out of round (you would be surprized) and feathered.

I'm done (on this thread).

·
Registered
860 Posts
dminor said:
Hey Don;

Don't make that kind of a statement about a machine fix and not show the final product... I personally think the whole damper issue is weak on this large of a cruiser... You just have to share please...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts