BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after alot of work re-balancing both tires I pulled out my dial indicator and magnetic base and found the right side of the wheel has about .050" runout over a 3-4" portion of the rim. So up to 60mph its tolerable to ride, but as we all know these bike Can't just do 60.

Damn California road maintainance does it again.

Any of you had a wheel repaired with any success and if so any recommendations or suggestions?
 

·
BMW Guru
Joined
·
8,469 Posts
Motomadman said:
So after alot of work re-balancing both tires I pulled out my dial indicator and magnetic base and found the right side of the wheel has about .050" runout over a 3-4" portion of the rim. So up to 60mph its tolerable to ride, but as we all know these bike Can't just do 60.

Damn California road maintainance does it again.

Any of you had a wheel repaired with any success and if so any recommendations or suggestions?
I had my front wheel straightened a few months ago by The Frame Man. They've been around forever and do great work.

http://www.motorcycleframeman.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve have you used any of the companeys you listed and if so what was the duration of down time seeing your a west coaster as well....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
I have used frame straight to fix two rims from a 1150R I had. Once the rims were at his shop, they sat for one day, he fixed them the next and the next day they were back enroute to me. Nice guy to talk to on the phone and the rims looked great when they came back. Total time was less than two weeks. It took UPS much longet to get the rims there and back to me than it took him to fix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like Frame Strait is the place to have my wheel repaired. I was hoping someone would know a similar company in the LA area that would shorten my down time due to the bike is my daily commuter.

Repair costs and down time still beats the $850 for replacement....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
For our east coast readers there's Steel Fabricating in Hatboro, Pa. he's been doing it for 30 years. Straightened my RT front wheel to perfection. You would never know it was bent.
 

·
BMW Guru
Joined
·
8,469 Posts
Motomadman said:
Sounds like Frame Strait is the place to have my wheel repaired. I was hoping someone would know a similar company in the LA area that would shorten my down time due to the bike is my daily commuter.

Repair costs and down time still beats the $850 for replacement....
The Frame Man is in Sacramento so pretty close for shipping and he had mine done in two days...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
Motomadman said:
Steve have you used any of the companeys you listed and if so what was the duration of down time seeing your a west coaster as well....
No, I have not had the opportunity to use these two, but several on the forum have. I'd go with Ted's suggestion as it is "local" of sorts.. Use a cheap next day carrier to get it done quick.
I set up an account with http://www.shipgso.com/, to get my seat out of Riverside. (big, heavy Corbin recovered) $32.00 next day service. There are others that beat Fed-ex rates as well. If you need help, If Frame straight will not ship (can't imagine why) PM me, I'd be glad to help get you on the road quicker!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
Frame straight will ship, on your dollar. Package up the wheel after breaking it all down. Take it to a UPS or FedEx location and have them pack it so no damage will be down to. You then have them print a return label that you put in the box. Frame Straight fixes your wheel, puts it back in the same box, slaps the return label on it and it goes out the next day depending on pick up times etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many thanks to all of you and make the most of your time off with friends and family. Most likley will ship it off to Frame Straight on Tuesday after talking to them Monday.

Thanks a Million guys......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
989 Posts
nplenzick said:
For our east coast readers there's Steel Fabricating in Hatboro, Pa. ....
Another East Coast source: MC Wheel in Keene, NH . I liked their service so much, I bent more wheels to go back! :rotf:

Not really, but over last 7 years or so, they have repaired for me 3 cast wheels from 3 different K-bikes and done a very good job. If you think CA roads are bad: welcome to NJ! According to recent Automobile Magazine, we are NUMBER 1 (the Feds rated 49% of our roads as substandard). Yeee-haw!

Now, for those that have problems with BMW spoked wheels, there is only one place: Woody's Wheel Works.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top