BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've looked, "Searched" and HOW'd for how to make the '05 signals into running and signals. I can't find it but I have read it before. The socket has 3 wires and appears ready for conversion. Will someone point me to a thread?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,247 Posts
Benton,

You already have running lights and turns on an 05 model. Unless there are NOT three wires there already. At least my 05, MFG date of 03/04 had it. Of course this is the front I am speaking about not the rear.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
bblalock said:
Ok, I've looked, "Searched" and HOW'd for how to make the '05 signals into running and signals. I can't find it but I have read it before. The socket has 3 wires and appears ready for conversion. Will someone point me to a thread?
Generally, if the socket has three wires connected (on three different terminals on the base), you should have everything you need, except perhaps your bulb is burned out. Remove the bulb and replace with a known-working 1157 bulb to see if it works.

Are we talking front or rear here?

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys. My cousin's '06 LT works as both but mine have never worked as running lights but I will double check the bulbs. Bought "Ophelia" 10/1/05 32,500 great miles ago!

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it appears we were all correct. One of the filaments in each bulb was out, but when I put two more in and turned the switch on they both burned out right then. The tall filaments are the ones that came on for seconds before turning to toast.
Can the connections be incorrect at the sockets or does there have to be a problem elsewhere?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
bblalock said:
there have to be a problem elsewhere?
Yep, you've got a problem somewhere in the wiring, either that or you used 6 volt bulbs in there.
Pull the bulb out and turn the bike on, then put a volt meter across the terminals for the running light and see what you get.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Did you read the current in running and turn mode across the different posts? I don't know if the higher "turn" current could burn out the lower wattage "tail" filament if the wires are reversed, but it's worth checking. I am sure that someone else can say with certainty whether the problem could be as simple as this.

·
Registered
361 Posts
deputy5211 said:
I don't know if the higher "turn" current could burn out the lower wattage "tail" filament if the wires are reversed, but it's worth checking.

The current is drawn on demand. The only thing that can cause an immediate burnout is excess voltage. If there was a fault on the electrics, ALL the bulbs would be popping quickly. Either the new bulbs are 6 volt, or the envelopes have an air leak. A wiring error would lead to no or poor light output.

·
Registered
350 Posts
bblalock said:
Well, it appears we were all correct. One of the filaments in each bulb was out, but when I put two more in and turned the switch on they both burned out right then. The tall filaments are the ones that came on for seconds before turning to toast.
Can the connections be incorrect at the sockets or does there have to be a problem elsewhere?
The tall filaments are the running lights. Have you added anything to your rear turnsignals? Perhaps to make them running lights also. If not I'd get your bike to the dealer before your warranty runs out.

Bruce Hodges

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I can't figure it out before I will have it fixed with the 36k service, in March. I do my own service but I thought the last one would be a good time for the shop to discover anything that BMW could help pay for.
I will do some more testing before the service though.
Thanks for all the replys and advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts