BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done w/ my first rear tire change w/ the LT : went to change the front tire (have all the great posts, thanks) but wondered what folks do to support the front tire off the ground(I thought about what I used to do on some smaller bikes, simply weight the rear w/ bke on center stand, but on the LT, this could be the beginning of one of those "What the FWIT" videos)-car jack? floor jack? were do you center it? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I just use an extra scissor jack I have lying around...toward the front of the motor. It's not like a lot of weight is going to be supported by the jack. Putting some weight (read "a LOT") in the tour trunk certainly helps. Enough weight back there and the jack is more-or-less just a safety precaution.

BTW...don't forget to use tape on the rims to protect them from getting scratched by the calipers as you remove them. I use gaffers tape. It's like duct tape, but without all the gooey residue. Masking tape works OK, too. Oh...and don't be afraid to apply a little waterproof grease to your axle as you reassemble. I use Bel-Ray. Most motorcycle shops carry it. Good stuff.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Front tire removal

Like Joe, I use a jack.

However, some time back, someone on the site reversed a quick clamp from Sears. This is small and can go in saddle bag for trips. Not sure what size he used, but a long one is not needed as there isn't much room under there.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
drmajor said:
...a quick clamp from Sears. This is small and can go in saddle bag for trips.
While performing an emergency tire change in Minneapolis, I weighted the rear end of the bike down with all my gear. I then removed the front axle and wedged it under the motor as a prop rod. It fit PERFECTLY under there, and the bigger hollow end of the axle fit around a bold head to keep it from slipping out. I should've taken a pic, as you would think the BMW engineers meant for this. It was really cool.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
A while back someone here came up with a standard turnbuckle that was lightly machined into a nifty little jack that fit perfectly under the motor into an existing hole - all you had to do was twist it a little and presto - solid as a rock. The cool thing is that it was easy to stash on your bike. Was it David Shealey? Anyone got a link?

I really need to make one of those...

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I think the turnbuckle idea was Buck Wilmerding's. I was the Craftsman Clamp initiator.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
RonKMiller said:
A while back someone here came up with a standard turnbuckle that was lightly machined into a nifty little jack ... [snip]

I really need to make one of those...
And make sure to cover with that seat material, so it's soft on the hands. And put a zippered pocket on it so it'll hold some tools. And let's not forget a little beverage holder with a stow-away straw for when you're working on the bike. Oh...and put some chrome on it to make it look....um.....purty! Yea, that's it! And, last but not least, LEDs!!! Lots and Lots! So you can work on that puppy at night, on the side of a dark and lonely road. :D

patent pending

·
Registered
279 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Man can never have too much chrome... ;)
Hey! I thought this was a BMW motorcycle forum, not a Harley-Davidson one.

Don't polish it, just ride it! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts