BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi when i picked up my LT they had installed and new front tire - on the short test ride didn't notice it but when i was slabbing it back. Every Time I made a slight lean i could hear a humming. I figured it was the front wheel bearings going on me. I check the bearings out on the stand and doesn't feel like there is any play in the. the machine has 40k miles so should be okay - BUT i read somewhere that the Metzlers are noisy and the way the front fairing and such accentuate the sound - any tips b4 i order new bearing would be appreciated
:wave:nerd:

·
Registered
196 Posts
IMHO, the older 880's are super noisy, I tossed mine after 4k miles, but even the Avon's are noisy on a lean.
I would lay odds that your low miles your wheel bearings are fine, kinda the way the LT's are with sounds magnified through the chassis/Tupperware.

I came from years of sport or sport touring bikes, and still have 'em, nothing ever howled except on the race track at full tilt! But the big K-LT makes lots of tire noise at a lean...:frown:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info , kinda whats the word on th LT cuz it's so front heavy
will leave them until the winter service when i get to the bones of this machine
getting better at stripping the tupperware off now can do 1 side in 15 minutes

·
Registered
196 Posts
What vintage of K-LT did you purchase?

thanks for the info , kinda whats the word on th LT cuz it's so front heavy
will leave them until the winter service when i get to the bones of this machine
getting better at stripping the tupperware off now can do 1 side in 15 minutes

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
hi when i picked up my LT they had installed and new front tire - on the short test ride didn't notice it but when i was slabbing it back. Every Time I made a slight lean i could hear a humming. I figured it was the front wheel bearings going on me. I check the bearings out on the stand and doesn't feel like there is any play in the. the machine has 40k miles so should be okay - BUT i read somewhere that the Metzlers are noisy and the way the front fairing and such accentuate the sound - any tips b4 i order new bearing would be appreciated
Metzlers are not called howlers for nothing. same thing on mine, a very slight lean and they start to whine.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Turn the music up!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey Tricky, do my test if you want and I believe you will feel like you are on a different bike. I had the same noise and tried everything, changed tires, replaced the front wheel bearings, checked all Tupperware for loose bolts, but, in vain. My last resort was to remove the windscreen and test ride it without a helmet. My 1999 LT was silent like a grave. I could even hear my exhaust melodic sound. I made up my mind it is the windscreen that traps all noises like a speaker box and even amplifies them. Let's hear the result from your test. You have to learn to live with this noise of an LT.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts