BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently had Hannigan convert our 2007 LT. I am looking for information on the best tire when the front tire needs replacing. I read the long series of posts praising the Michelin Pilot Activ 130/70/17 rear tire mounted in reverse. The comments offered pertained to trikes prior to 2007 models. When I inquired from a BMW dealer they informed me that there may be a problem with the clearance for that tire. I will include a copy of their reply below. I was wondering if anyone has first hand experience with replacing the front tire on later model trikes. There have also been favorable comments on this site relative to the Metzler Bias 880. Pardon if this sounds stupid, but is that a front tire or a rear tire used on the front, and should it be mounted in reverse? Thanks for your help.

Ray

Email from dealer:
Ray,

I think that would be a good choice. It has 2.0MM more tread depth and 64LBs more load capacity than the ME880 Metzeler. It is about 1/4"-3/8" wider on each side though. I looked at another LT at our dealership and there is a bracket underneath the stock front fender that is pretty close to the stock Metzeler, not giving too much extra clearance for a wider tire. You will need to modify that bracket to allow more clearance, unless you already have modified it or if you don't have a stock front fender. I don't think we will be able to modify the fender bracket.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone replaced front tire on 2005 or later Hannigan?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've had good luck with Metzler ME880 made for the LT. Usually lasts about 10-12,000 miles. Tried a Bridgestone BT016 Radial. Only lasted about 4000 miles but I pushed it hard on the Tail of the Dragon, Cheracola Skyway & Devils Triangle on a recent trip. I'm now back to the ME880. I don't know about that backwards tire stuff but just doesn't seem right to me. I'm sticking with Metzler.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
The whole front back thing is due to the stresses on the tire bead. A front tire has to account for hard braking only (force against the rotation arrow) and a rear tire has to account for hard acceleration only (force with the rotation arrow). So if you use a rear on the front it should be mounted so the force is against the rotation arrow. That means backwards.

A good front fit for an early bike will also fit a later bike, clearance wise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts