BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best front tire for a 1200 lt. The original Metzler had a wierd wear pattern. The dam thing will shake you off the bike at about 38mph. Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
If you head down to "Accessories, Gadgets, and Gear ", then click on Tires, you'll find lots of opinions on what tire works for whom. Be sure to read about keeping your air pressure set correctly too - major cause of wear patterns on the Metz. Metz, Avon and Bridgestones are your best options.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
Avon...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,886 Posts
Depends on what kind of oil you wish to run in your tires...

:corn:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,149 Posts
Starship said:
What is the best front tire for a 1200 lt. The original Metzler had a wierd wear pattern. The dam thing will shake you off the bike at about 38mph. Any ideas?
I like the Bridgestones FWIW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,162 Posts
Starship said:
The original Metzler had a wierd wear pattern.
I've had good success with the ME880s, but the key is maintaining 42psi. If I keep the pressure consistent then I can get around 16k off the front tire.

Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
The key to your front tire to never develop a "Funny" wear pattern is to never use the front brake. :) That is true for any motorcycle.

Or: They more often and aggressive you use the front brakes they more your front tire is going to develop a wear pattern that will eventually result in a front end shake. Not what we want to hear, but it is a fact.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
I recommend that you spend some investigative time reviewing posted reviews from recent tire owners. There appears to be a large support base for the Michelin brand. Your personal preference will be a deciding factor.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Wolfgang said:
The key to your front tire to never develop a "Funny" wear pattern is to never use the front brake. :) That is true for any motorcycle.

Or: They more often and aggressive you use the front brakes they more your front tire is going to develop a wear pattern that will eventually result in a front end shake. Not what we want to hear, but it is a fact.

I did not know this, I use my front brake often.
 

·
Registered
1999 LTC
Joined
·
14,456 Posts
G-One said:
I recommend that you spend some investigative time reviewing posted reviews from recent tire owners. There appears to be a large support base for the Michelin brand. Your personal preference will be a deciding factor.
I tried finding member support for the Michelin tires to fit the K1200LT, and couldn't find much. I reviewed the Accessories/Tire pages here and found this:

Michelin
These tires are no longer available for the K1200LT.

Front Tire: Macadam 50EM 120/70-17 58 V TL/TT

Rear Tire: Macadam 50EM 160/70-17 79 V REINF. TL/TT


In reviewing Michelin's website, I couldn't bring up any fitment information for the LT, so I'm of the opinion that recommending Michelin isn't a good thing. Don't know why Michelin doesn't support the motorcycle industry, at least in the LT's category.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
Starship said:
What is the best front tire for a 1200 lt. The original Metzler had a wierd wear pattern. The dam thing will shake you off the bike at about 38mph. Any ideas?
First off, welcome to the forum! :wave

Before you start blaming Metzelers:

1. Maintain your front tire at 42 psi - that means checking it before every ride, even if it's been sitting for a week.

2. Understand that using the front brake (as others have opined) is NOT the cause of your "weird" wear pattern - unless you use it excessively in the middle of turns - which is of course poor riding technique and downright dangerous.

3. Read this article completely and you'll understand why you have a "weird" wear pattern. (which of course is perfectly normal) There's not a whole lot you can do about it, but maintaining at 42 psi will delay the onset dramatically.

http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html

4. If you want long wear for touring get the Metz. If you want more grip for aggressive riding and riding in the rain get the Avon. All depends on how and where you ride. For me personally I prefer the Metz and have purchased about a dozen over the years, and have never had any problems with them. I typically get 12K out of the front, about half for the rear, but I also tow a trailer alot which knocks down the mileage significantly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
I have had great service out of the ME 880's front and rear. As stated by many, the key is keeping a constant check on air pressure. 42 psi in the front and 48 psi in the rear have been the proven pressures for good wear and performance. Agressive riding in the curvies with heavy brake usage will cause wear patterns and cupping. Yes, once these patterns have developed you still have lots of miles left on your tire. The only issue I have found once this happens is a little head shake but this is only on decelleration when you take your hands off the bars. As long as I have at least one hand on the bars I have never had a head shake problem. I do ride pretty agressively and I do visit the north GA and surrounding states mountains frequently to ride the curvy roads. I still manage to get 10 to 11 K miles from the rear and 16 to 18 K miles from the front. BTW, I have run both the radial and non radial front tires with equal success. I only ran the radial once when the non radial was not available.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
13,924 Posts
dthogey said:
I did not know this, I use my front brake often.

Using your front brake is not the problem. Using your front brake in a corner to bleed off speed is a problem with the tire wear. Keep using your front brake but try to do so when upright. After all 90% of your braking power is the front brake.

Looks like Ron beat me to the punch. I gotta start reading the entire thread before I reply against a specific post.

BTW my wobbly rear wheel created a very unusual "centered" wear pattern on the front tire. Much different from the usual wear.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,546 Posts
jzeiler said:
Using your front brake is not the problem. Using your front brake in a corner to bleed off speed is a problem with the tire wear. Keep using your front brake but try to do so when upright. After all 90% of your braking power is the front brake.

Looks like Ron beat me to the punch. I gotta start reading the entire thread before I reply against a specific post.

BTW my wobbly rear wheel created a very unusual "centered" wear pattern on the front tire. Much different from the usual wear.
Yes, I was about to post, but then noticed that both Ron and you had already debunked the myths so I can save some typing! Amazing how these urban legends persist...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
If you want miles, go for the Metzeler. I've had the front Bridgestone and it just seemed to wear out way too quick and even when new the tread didn't look that deep. The front Metzeler is not that many more dollars than the Bridgestone that I've found. But as others have said, keep that pressure at 42 psi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
I keep 42+ psi on the front Metzler and have 18K miles on the original tire.
just my .02 cents
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
The ME 880 is in average a good choice. In dry no question a good grip in any situation in wet you have to be a bit sensitive on acceleration in curves and brutal slow down.
But on wear and lifetime on the bike, far better then all other brands like BT or AVON.
This is my experience here in Europa with wet and dry, hills and flats, high and slow speeds in hairpins in the mountains or normal traffic roads.
I would never change to an other tire then ME.
Don't get a higher discount from them ;) .

Manfred
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
With a little over 11,000 miles on the rear Bridgestone, I am ready for my THIRD front tire.
Cupping....and I have kept the pressure at 44 at all times. It howls so bad it shakes the front in a hard turn. :(
I am going back to Metzlers I guess. I like the feel of the 'Stones, but hate the front tire life. I have also been very careful about trail braking ,and being smoother on the brakes. I can only guess Arkansas roads are hard on 'em. (I ride to Hot Springs every two weeks or so from Jackson)
I wish Pilot Road 3's were available in reinforced models. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
blueknightga6 said:
If you want miles, go for the Metzeler. I've had the front Bridgestone and it just seemed to wear out way too quick and even when new the tread didn't look that deep. The front Metzeler is not that many more dollars than the Bridgestone that I've found. But as others have said, keep that pressure at 42 psi.
I agree with this, the front Bridgestones look like they are half bald when brand new, but I sure do like the Bridgestones better than the Metzlers for grip and noise etc. I have ME880s on my R1200C because that is my daily ride and the ME880 sure delivers longevity but it also makes a lot of noise. My LT had ME's when I got it and when I replaced them with BT's the ride improved dramatically in ride comfort, handling, stability and a general reduction of squirreliness.

I have seen a couple others are going with the BT on back and an ME on the front for a little more longevity out of the front, I might try this when I need to replace the front which I think will be well before I need to replace the rear.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top