BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 KLT and it is time to change the front tire. Got the wheel off , easy. When I pushed the front brake pads back into the calipers brake fluid ran out from under the bike. Should I replace the brake fluid or will it be ok?
Mike

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
How much fluid?

Sounds like you might have "cocked" the caliper piston some while re-installing the brake pads,
they should have "slid" into place,

if you didn't lose a lot of fluid I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Hi Mike,

I can only guess that the brake fluid had been "topped off" over time.

Since you pushed the pads back, they will need to come "forward" after the wheel is back on.

Yes, you will have to replace the fluid.

Joe

·
Registered
797 Posts
joegottberg said:
Hi Mike,

I can only guess that the brake fluid had been "topped off" over time.

Since you pushed the pads back, they will need to come "forward" after the wheel is back on.

Yes, you will have to replace the fluid.

Joe
Or not. New pads should decrease the need for more fluid - until they themselves wear down.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
lnowell said:
Or not. New pads should decrease the need for more fluid - until they themselves wear down.
Maybe I misunderstood, it sounded like he was reinstalling the same brake pads. If they are new, he should be fine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not replacing the brake pads. I have 10,959 miles on her and installing a new tire. I pushed the pads back into the caliper so that the calipers are easier to replace when the wheel is reinstalled.

What # DOT brake fluid should I be using ??
Mike

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,907 Posts
DOT 4. And you should not need to add any. The level should be set with the pistons retracted. That way as the pads wear you will get the wig wag lights when the level drops. Then you inspect the pads and replace as necessary. (despite what you may have read in ON).
Oh and make sure you pump the front brakes several times before riding to re-seat the pistons against the pads. Other wise your eyes will pop out the first time you apply them.:p

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
jzeiler said:
Oh and make sure you pump the front brakes several times before riding to re-seat the pistons against the pads. Other wise your eyes will pop out the first time you apply them.:p
What John said........
Although I'd be more worried about "ripping" a hole in the seat due to the "pucker factor"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts