BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to change my front tire and wanted to know if someone has a recommendation for a location between Sacramento to Dublin. I plan on removing the front wheel myself. I have a spare new front tire. I realize that its best to replace the tire ourselves but my current schedule and priorities do not allow me that luxury. For this time I need to pay someone a reasonable amount and get help to replace the tire. I need to change the front tire this week.

Thanks,
Amish.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Amish,

Being it's the front any Motorcycle shop can mount and balance it. The rear has to have the adapter.
If you would like, we can do it at my house in Brentwood any day after 4:30 PM or the weekend just let me know when.

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Be extra careful when you remove the front wheel to remember the order of the spacers. For me, it was confusing and even looking at the manual did not help to clear it up on my 02.

If, you put it back together and the wheel is rubbing one side, you have them on the wrong side.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dano.

John - Sending you a PM.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am trying to remove the front wheel and found a nut that has eroded head. For smaller screws I have had luck with making a small hole in the nut and hammering my way to remove them, but this is a big nut thats torqued pretty well. Any recommendation on removing this?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,182 Posts
Remember to either put weight in the back of the bike or to use a jack or anything you can put under the engine to keep the bike from falling forward when you remove the front wheel.
Do you have a hammer and a cold chisel? That is what I would use to remove the bolt with the stripped head. Just proceed carefully and knock the head CCW after you punched a slot in it.

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
These are what I do if I understand correctly.

Soaked it with a good penetrating solution like Blaster PB.

At least for 8+ hours of soak and I've had good luck with a manual impact drive. The kind that you put torque on the nut or bolt and then tap with a hammer.

As a last resort, drill it and then try an easy out.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,460 Posts
LTFan said:
I am trying to remove the front wheel and found a nut that has eroded head. For smaller screws I have had luck with making a small hole in the nut and hammering my way to remove them, but this is a big nut thats torqued pretty well. Any recommendation on removing this?
That pinch bolt has an install torque of 21Nm. I found one of ole Toad's wuz really, really tight from the last gorilla who torqued it - what worked for me (closed course with professional driver - do not try this at home!!! ;) ) wuz to 'lightly' tighten that pinch bolt, then try backing it out. You also may wanna try some penetrating release lubricant - if somebody who has made that work will second the notion! Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,182 Posts
You are right Dick, I have have good luck with tightening first before loosening.
I just hope the bolt head can allow for that...

·
Registered
212 Posts
LTFan said:
This was an allen socket head screw? If you've already rounded the hole out trying the correct size allen, you can sometimes tap (read hammer) an appropriate sized Torx into the hole. The Torx needs to be the next size up from what would easily fit into it to begin with. And then the previously mentioned hammer driven impact driver will usually break the bonds.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. Finally got the bolts out.

First was the penetrating lube. Then the cold chisel to create a slot for the impact wrench. Then the impact wrench. Finally the torx wrench using a regular torque wrench did the job. I have no idea what the previous owner or his mechanic were thinking while tightening this bolt.

The head was pretty bad. I could not tighten it.

Time to head to A&S to get new bolts.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got my front tire replaced yesterday with John, Bob and Roge's help. Thanks everyone for the support and help. Got the new wheel mounted and the initial test drive was all good.

Amish.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts