BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since I'm relatively new to the game, I learned a little later than most here that the front spring on our beloved steeds is, to put it gently, not really up to the task of supporting the bike's generous weight, as the miles progress. What I've learned, then, is we're left with a saggy front end, and suspension that bottoms out at merely the hint of uneven pavement. From what I've been able to discern, the spring is pretty well clapped-out, while the shock still has plenty of life in it.

Well, you may opine that I consider the purchase of an Ohlins, or a Wilbers set-up for the badly needed front end replacement, and the inner cheapskate in me would reply something to the effect: ".....at $500 to $800 for the unit?? NFW, thanks!" In fact, even the offering of the replacement spring from Hyperpro (SP-BM12-SSN002) at $125 and $50 to ship from the frozen North, is a little off the charts, but not by much.

Oh, yes. My point. Do any of the members have a front spring kicking around the parts bin that they might be able to measure the following:
1. Free height
2. Coil outer diameter
3. Coil inner diameter
4. Wire thickness at the center of the spring
5. AND, if someone has the knowledge or a BMW contact who can indicate the spring rate, it would help me avoid doing some calculating.

What I'm wondering is that there just HAS to be another spring offered out there, for another use, at a much reduced price, that's adaptable to the LT front shock. As an example, MOOG offers a whole catalogue of springs. I just need to match something up. The specs for the LT spring would make it easy to see if the project is do-able or not. So, any help would be appreciated.

Hmmmm, for me, thinking is a dangerous pastime, indeed.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Well, since I'm relatively new to the game, I learned a little later than most here that the front spring on our beloved steeds is, to put it gently, not really up to the task of supporting the bike's generous weight, as the miles progress. What I've learned, then, is we're left with a saggy front end, and suspension that bottoms out at merely the hint of uneven pavement. From what I've been able to discern, the spring is pretty well clapped-out, while the shock still has plenty of life in it.

Well, you may opine that I consider the purchase of an Ohlins, or a Wilbers set-up for the badly needed front end replacement, and the inner cheapskate in me would reply something to the effect: ".....at $500 to $800 for the unit?? NFW, thanks!" In fact, even the offering of the replacement spring from Hyperpro (SP-BM12-SSN002) at $125 and $50 to ship from the frozen North, is a little off the charts, but not by much.

Oh, yes. My point. Do any of the members have a front spring kicking around the parts bin that they might be able to measure the following:
1. Free height
2. Coil outer diameter
3. Coil inner diameter
4. Wire thickness at the center of the spring
5. AND, if someone has the knowledge or a BMW contact who can indicate the spring rate, it would help me avoid doing some calculating.

What I'm wondering is that there just HAS to be another spring offered out there, for another use, at a much reduced price, that's adaptable to the LT front shock. As an example, MOOG offers a whole catalogue of springs. I just need to match something up. The specs for the LT spring would make it easy to see if the project is do-able or not. So, any help would be appreciated.

Hmmmm, for me, thinking is a dangerous pastime, indeed.
I have a stock front spring but in my opinion it is inadequate from the start.

The Hyperpro is the way to go as far as I'm Concerned. I will measure it if you wish.

Robert

·
Registered
336 Posts
There is a Ohlins front spring in classifieds for $60.00 not sure if interchangable.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

The Hyperpro is the way to go as far as I'm Concerned. I will measure it if you wish.

Robert
Robert: Thanks for the offer. Please measure it, if only for the sizes. I'll snoop around and see if there are any similar available with a heavier spring rate and longer life.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. But how does that compare with the stocker? That is to say, will this spring fit over the stock shock with no issue? That's my ultimate question.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ohlins spring 180-56/85 L131

Free ht 7 13/16"
od 68mm 2 5/8"
id 46mm 1 7/8"
wire dia 11mm
Oh, and for the record, that appears to have a spring rate of 85 N/mm which is roughly 486 lbs/in. Pretty good stiffness.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts

Robert
+1, emphatically. :))

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Robert: Thanks for the offer. Please measure it, if only for the sizes. I'll snoop around and see if there are any similar available with a heavier spring rate and longer life.
Stock BMW front spring 2000 model K1200LT 14K miles use

free length 7-15/16"
coil ID 1.950"
coil OD 2.740"
number of coils 7-1/2
wire diameter 0.403"
ground flat both ends

good luck,
Robert

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many thanks. The quest begins!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dragonwing please keep us up to date about this. I'm very interested to here if there is an alternative solution, the same way you are incline to do.
Bets of luck for your search.
Robert

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ai-jai-ja, my spelling and grammar. English is my third language and that's sometimes a real nuisance to get it right. I meant to say "hear" the outcome and not "here" in my previous post.

·
Registered
150 Posts
+ 1 on Hyperpro for time and dollars spent. Great economical upgrade from stock. Install on front and rear and you will have a different handling bike.

Good Luck

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, Piper. The LT has an Ohlins set-up on the rear, and a totally clapped-out stocker on the front. A spirited road trip this past summer with my brother-in-law (riding his ZX10 Ninja, me on the LT with top case removed) down to Southern Ohio (BTW, the back-to-back blind corners on Ohio's 'Triple Nickel' are just a hoot!) made it quite clear that curve-carving with this heavy beast is a real workout when the front suspension has gone "full marshmallow." Accordingly, I bought the free-standing Ohlins spring that one of our Members had offered in the Classifieds, and will fit it to the stock shock. Awaiting its arrival as I write this.

I'm still looking for other sources for a replacement, just on an FYI basis.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts