BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Spiegler brake lines (front and rear) for my 2000, K1200LT were received and the front function box (splitter) was not included in the parts package - will be contacting the company regarding needed part. New banjo bolts are included in the parts package. Should I use the new banjo bolts provided by Spiegler or the original BMW banjo bolts?

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Are you talking about banjo bolts or banjo washers?
If bolts then Yes use the ones from Spiegler; if washers then I would recommend the copper ones from BMW.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,245 Posts
Sounds like you are the second one they threw the wrong "goodie" bag into the kit on. There should be a T and washers, no banjo bolts. Give them a call.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even though I did not buy my Spiegler brake lines directly from Spiegler - bought them from STG (Sport Bike Track Gear). I called Spiegler regarding my missing part (front junction box/splitter) and they were very helpful and will mail missing part to me - should receive part Wednesday. I did learn that the banjo bolts are not included in Spiegler's parts package but that STG adds banjo bolts to the parts package as a bonus. I plan to use the original BMW banjo bolts and keep the STG provided banjo bolts as spares.

Thank you for your advice and help!

Henry

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I plan to use the original BMW banjo bolts and keep the STG provided banjo bolts as spares.
Having just replaced my lines yesterday afternoon, I'd recommend switching to the banjo bolts STG provided. They have a 9/16" head and installed just fine. Careful as I was with the torx bit and torque wrench, I still managed to strip one of the originals. Fortunately, it was one I was able to remove with vice grips. Only one--the most-annoying one, for the rear brake pedal--would've been nearly impossible to use a replacement banjo.

Per Kirk's suggestion in his video, I used the new crush washers. Didn't know I could or should use the copper washers, or why I would.

I plan to add the brake fluid and bleed it this evening. Maybe.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Also: Always use new washers. They probably included those as well, so I second using all Spiegler parts.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just ordered my kit from speigler
$245 no bajo's included
I ordered 3
Was going to order from another place, motomummy.
The said 2 weeks delay.
Speigler will ship out monday.

All of my lines started to bleed themselves like blood.
Should have listened to the wisdom in these forums.
Rode home twice so far with almost no brakes.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Rode home twice so far with almost no brakes.
Third time is a charm...NOT! :eek:
Good luck with your project. I am just about done with mine, working very part time on it...;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Good grief. My kit (received from STG a couple of weeks ago) was also missing the junction block.

BTW, I used the new Spiegel banjo bolts and washers except for the bolt on the handlebar at the master cylinder (no room for the "squared" head against the handlebar).

·
Registered
215 Posts
Got my front lines in, still seems to be air in system, will try saturday morning and bleed master
Saw suggestions to leave lever pulled overnight to expell air
I think that is what is going on the air in lines and small lines make them airbound
Going to crack bolt on master and pump, car master needs to be bench bled to work correctly
Will update after success

·
Registered
215 Posts
They did mention use whatever bajo bolt you want, but always use their aluminum washers!

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
On car brakes, I had always used a trick my dad taught me to re-use copper washers - heat them bright red with a torch, and they would expand back to their original shape for re-use…. I had never had any problems with this solution, but when I need to install new Speiglers, I'll use whatever washers they come with. :bmw:

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think hardness matters with the washers.They said on the phone use their washers, my kit came with many spares, think it was a hint.

Got front brakes working, just got the new pads, not installed yet.
Took another thorough bleed to get fronts nice and hard.
Tomorrow rear lines, and new pads all around!

Also picked up piston for seat at autozone, not sure it will work, the pressure is so high I cannot compress it even a little.
Might be funny if I am ridding and seat starts going up, ha ha

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I think hardness matters with the washers.They said on the phone use their washers, my kit came with many spares, think it was a hint.

Got front brakes working, just got the new pads, not installed yet.
Took another thorough bleed to get fronts nice and hard.
Tomorrow rear lines, and new pads all around!

Also picked up piston for seat at autozone, not sure it will work, the pressure is so high I cannot compress it even a little.
Might be funny if I am ridding and seat starts going up, ha ha
Do you have a part number for the piston from AutoZone?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I changed lines on last bike, GT. I used the aluminum washers and they all very lightly seeped. Not much, but enough to make me crazy, very short trip BTW. Redid them ( what a PITA) with new copper washers and no more leaking! And yes, they were all torqued up to specs.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The piston I got, I returned
I think the pressure was really high, probably meant for a large rear hatch.
I could not, with all of my weight push the piston in at all!
I think If I had gotten it attached it would have been an ejector seat!! WEEEH!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts